Cutting Guinea Pig nails

LillyB

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
At what age do you start cutting your Piggies nails? My girls are 12 weeks old and their nails are just starting to get noticeably longer but am wary of clipping them as they are still so young.
Is there a technique to cutting them?
Any advise is gratefully received as always, thank you 😁

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I don’t know that there’s a set age where you start cutting them. It depends on the piggy. If they’re a little sharp you could trim off the very tip. I’ll tag @PigglePuggle @Piggies&buns

LillyB

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thankyou 😃 We are going to have a look at them later and see how long they are. A friend of mine has suggested filing them with a metal file.....not sure how long they will sit still for that!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
There’s definitely no set age, it’ll just be when it’s needed.
It can take two people (one to hold piggy, one to clip), treats, wrapping piggy in a towel, practice, and possibly more than one sitting to get all nails done.
If you are unsure, then it can be best to ask the vet nurse to help you the first few times, watch closely and then attempt it yourself when you are confident

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I don’t know about that. If they’ve started growing out then you can trim, but it happens at different times for everyone. If they do need it do a very very short bit at the end. You can use hooman nail cutters or pet nail cutters, who vet you feel comfortable with. Also give them something to munch on while you’re cutting. If they don’t like it there’s no harm in stopping and continuing another day.

LillyB

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thats great advice from everyone, thankyou so much 😁 👍
This will definitely be a 2 person job with lots of munchies and cuddles given during the process 🥬🥦

Lanie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My 2 boys love getting their nails trimmed they sit happily on my lap think this might be because I started trimming them when they were about 12 weeks old they are now 14 months or it could just be luck lol. I just use normal nail clippers. If your pigs have clear nails rather than black it’s easier as you can see the wick. If they are black I would recommend only trimming the tip as if you accidentally cut the wick it can bleed a lot.

LillyB

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you 😃 We tried with one of them yesterday but she wriggled around way to much to even attempt it! 🤣 This is going to be a case of trying to get them relaxed with plenty of lettuce/Kale to munch on while we do it! x

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thank you 😃 We tried with one of them yesterday but she wriggled around way to much to even attempt it! 🤣 This is going to be a case of trying to get them relaxed with plenty of lettuce/Kale to munch on while we do it! x
Be aware Male is high in calcium so shouldn’t be fed much. Coriander is a good one, or lettuce as you said.

LillyB

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Be aware Male is high in calcium so shouldn’t be fed much. Coriander is a good one, or lettuce as you said.
Kale is a definite treat & I only give it a couple of times a week.....they only have to sniff it out in the bowl and it causes popcorning and squeaking! 🤣

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Kale is a definite treat & I only give it a couple of times a week.....they only have to sniff it out in the bowl and it causes popcorning and squeaking! 🤣
I’d do once a week and no more. But it’s up to you. We need to have some kale...