Cutting Long-haired Breed's Hair (scaredy Cut Grooming Set)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiggyOinkOink

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am looking for a better grooming solution for my long haired's and was wondering if anyone has got this or have experience of this kit? I saw it being sold on an american piggy site Guinea Pig Market.

It looks handy but I notice on Amazon there are complaints about the blades not being sharp enough.

Scaredy Cut Grooming Set

I also have seen these scissors and they look like they are good quality and have reviews to that extent, plus they are curved so you won't lob off that ear by accident lol

5" Dog Face & Paw BALLTIP Grooming Scissors Japanese SS

I note that you can get these smaller type ones too though they seem a bit too small maybe?

Face and Paw Scissors

Not sure which ones are recommended. What do other people use to cut their shaggy pigs?

I use old hairdressing scissors from boots :) Not sure how well those trimming scissors would work on a wriggly pig, you might risk catching skin or an ear. I wouldn't recommend trimming around face or feet for the same reason. Don't get anything super sharp - mine are quite blunt but do the job!

I use the scissors from my dog grooming kit, very good scissors. I just make sure piggy is relaxed before I start cutting. If I am trimming around the face of legs i make sure my fingers is between the blades and my piggy so there is no chance of contact.

I use hairdressing scissors if Me and the piggy know each other well, and round ended ones if we are relative strangers! My hairdressing scissors are very sharp and so don't give accidental 'tugs', they also cope with big lumps of matted hair quickly. But I always keep my fingers between the blades and the piggy. If piggy is very restless I do several short sessions rather than stress him/her out unduly. I know somebody who uses a thinning comb, but I imagine that must tug a fair bit!

We mainly use our dog grooming equipment on the boys - good quality sharp scissors that will quickly deal with a thick coat (especially on my Texel) and the Wahl trimmer (I must admit mums is a professional one so the blades are good, I couldn't comment on the cheaper 'pet' variants that you can get from general pet shops.

If you're not overly confident thinning scissors can work well (I used these on the boys whist getting them used to being groomed), as you can only remove so much hair and due to the gaps between the blades you're far less likely to do any damage should they have a wiggle. The trick is to get a decent sharp pair through, if not you don't actually achieve much trimming!

Its always a bit scary the first couple of times, but your confidence will soon grow and your piggies will generally get used to their trims far quicker than you would expect!

I used to use hair-cutting scissors I got with some hair clippers but I was scared they were too sharp and a leg would brush past the blade and get cut. I now use cheapo kitchen scissors which I got from The Works and they are much sharper than the hair clipper scissors strangely and bulkier so easier to handle. I always put my fingers between piggy and scissors though often they will move as soon as they feel their hair being tugged or funnily, when they hear the sound of the blade cutting their hair!

I want to find something a bit friendlier and safer to use with them so might just get the blunt end or the curved scissors. Pretty much in the end I always have to pick a piggy up to trim as they won't keep still no matter what food I shove in their face.

I was also considering buying a pet trimmer but I reckon they will be spooked by the noise and just not stay still so it will be a waste of money. I have a hair trimmer but I read that a pet one is recommended as the teeth on a human trimmer are not designed for thicker pet hairs. I think I tried it once and it did not cut well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back