• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Cutting Nails And Using Corn Flour

Status
Not open for further replies.

bex's gpigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, hope someone can answer a quick question...:D

Most if not all my guinea pigs nails have black which is very frustrating as its extremely hard to see where the wick is, I have never cut them up (as in hurt them) but I worry each time I get the clippers out. I heard an old wifes tales if you will, that if you put corn flour on the cut/bleeding nail it will stop it and should stop infection as dirt can not get into it. Is this true/ does it work? Apparently this is for all animals..
I don't know whether its safe for piggies but its suppose to work.

Any ideas?
Or an alternative to corn flour..
Cheers

I've cut Sparkle's quick once when cutting her nails . It is not a pleasant experience . I used cornflour. I know some members use a styptic pencil but I don't as there is aluminium in styptic pencils.

Cool I didn't know it actually worked! Its more for a just in case really, I didn't even know styptic pencils existed. Thanks xD

I know the feeling. Only one of my girls has black claws but she wriggles so much it's awful tryin to clip her.
I've cut Bonnies quick before and it's a horrible experience. Not because it hurts them that much, it's just like a sudden squeak and then they're fine. But the blood! God, it doesn't stop! Now I tried the cornflour and it did work. It clotted nicely and the bleeding stopped really quickly. Until Bonnie licked the flour off which started the bleeding all over again. /).-

Cornflour does work when your pig does bother with it. 9/10 pig find the weird stuff on their paws too much to resist and curiosity takes over. I tend to just hold a piece of clean tissue paper over it until it stops now. -.-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back