• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

cutting nails

Status
Not open for further replies.
my guinz nails are longish on the hind legs,do you cut them your self or take them to vets?,ive done them once before(they have white nails so i can see where the blood ends)but i dont like doing them incase i hurt them,any tips if you do cut them urself?
thanks

Freela

Adult Guinea Pig
I cut their nails myself (or more accurately, with a friend- someone holds the pig, another cuts the nails.) We now have a small animal nail clipper (kind of like a small pair of scissors with a groove in the blade where the nail fits through) and it's really easy to use, though before we bought that we just used baby nail trimmers. You can get a styptic pencil or powder to stop any bleeding if you do accidentally cut the quick of the nail- it's happened to me a couple of times, particularly on my one piggie with black nails.

garnet2424

Junior Guinea Pig
I cut my guinea pigs nails myself, but that's because I'm confident in my ability.
You'll only hurt them if you cut the quick; if your not too sure, then take them to the vet :)
But if you do cut the quick, just apply pressure onto the wound. You can also buy powder which stops the bleeding.

Hope this helps! xx

Status
Not open for further replies.