• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Cutting Piggie Nails

proudpigmom

Junior Guinea Pig
What do you all recommend I use to cut their nails? I have seen regular nail clippers, I see special pig clippers, but I wonder what works best for you. My pigs' nails have not gotten too long but now they are suddenly quite sharp and long. I was thinking of just filing them down as well as they are not crazy long and one of them has black nails, which will be more difficult to cut.

Also, do any of you use natural means to wear down the pigs' nails? One of them HATES his toes being touched and will bite, so I would like to know what I can do before it gets to the point where I have to cut/file them.

Thank you!

Hetja

Junior Guinea Pig
I use normal nail clippers because I can easily see what I do. I would advise to take that clipper you think is easy to work with.
To cut black nails I always clip them as short as absolutely necessary so that I don’t cut to short.
One of my piggies also tries to bite while nail clipping. For me the easiest way to clip her nail is to put her on my lap and take one foot and clip one nail and than wait a moment then the next. I clip as many as possible in one session and then I continue the next day. It take me around four or five days to clip all her nails.
My older guinea pig wears down her nails herself. I never clipped them. She walks a lot in the cage and outside plus my piggies get regular floor time on rough hard floor to wear down their nails. They even have a new ramp with special surface to wear down their nails.

Reenie

Forum Donator 2017/18
I've tried various nail clippers and the ones I find easiest are the ones that look like little scissors with a kinked bit at the end.
My 5 boys are all different when it comes to clipping. Some are fine, some are ok except for one foot , which is virtually impossible without getting kicked (yes Bobby, I'm talking about YOU), and one that I have to wrap up in a towel with one leg at a time sticking out. I think the trick is short sessions, often, to get them used to it. I sometimes just pretend to cut their nails for that reason. Hope this helps.

DizzyD95

Junior Guinea Pig
My piggy Spud used to try and bite and wriggled around like crazy..it was a nightmare! I now wrap him in a towel and give him a piece of cucumber (his favorite) to distract him....he can't resist food :drool::)) I would definitely use clippers rather than filing, just because it's quicker and means you'll be touching their feet for less time and they'll probably be more cooperative :)

PigglePuggle

Adult Guinea Pig
We might try some piggy nail cipping this weekend too, I bought that sort of nail clippers in a grooming set and after watching the vet trim Clover and Jezebel's nails last week I couldnt help thinking that I could maybe trim the other piggies nails myself with a bit less fuss and a bit more cucumber!

Piggy Slave

Teenage Guinea Pig
Same as Flowerfairy, human nail clippers and hubby gets conned into holding them. Tom's were were quite long when he came but he was happy to let us trim them, must have felt better for it! Not had to do Mini's yet