• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Cutting toe nails?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lukey

Hi, just wondering if its an easy enough job to do, or how to do it? I dont think it warrants a vets visit just for that, but her nails are a little long and one broke off... now they look uneven, I'm sure a manacure would be just what she needs

thanks

I find it very easy cutting the nails some of the website have brilliant info to help you out, the cavy den, cavies united, cant remember the rest at the moment

i use to go to the vets then i bought a pair of clippers for piggies and do it myslef. 1 word of advise if you have a piggy with dark nail only cut a small amount. Also have some cornflour around when doing it cos if you cut the nail too short, they bleed. then just dip the foot in and it stops.

thanks for the quick replies... and the thing about the cornflour is really good to know, the thought of hurting them scares me... now theres just the little case of getting them to stay still for more than 3 seconds... i think the only answer is food and lots of it

Hiya

I bought some nail clippers that were especially for guineas but they cut the nail too close and used to leave the nail too sharp. So i now use human nail clippers and they are so much faster to use.

Love

Claire

I find the easiest way to do my girls (not all) nails is to gently wrap them up in a towel! They feel so snug in there, they really relax and then makes it so much easier to cut their nails.. My boy, Tonic, well he's a different fella! He knows when it's his turn and nothing will relax him, never has! lol
The vet for him! But not often!

Kelly and piggies xx

I have always done all of mine the secret is to have them as Kellie says wrapped securly with their feet hanging out of course, you can buy special powder from places like Jolleys and most pet shops called blood stop its a yellow powder and if you do happen to nip the vein a cotton bud dipped in the powder and held against the cut nail, it stops almost immiediatly, the trick is with light coloured nails you can clearly see the vein so never go too close to it, dark nails just nibble until you get the right length,
some of mine boys especailly never mind the nail clip and are quite relaxed about it all so I dont need to wrap them up but the girls seem to think oh no here she comes the mad nail snipper,
our vets charge about £7 per pig which with my little lot is out of the question, so be relaxed and be ready its such an easy job once you know how,

I cut my piggies' nails with human cutters. they all have black nails so I do it very gently. They soon tell me if it hurts. i think their fingers are hardest because fur gets caught in the cutter more easily.

Clever about the corn flour - didn't know that.
x

I do nails myself - some the the rescue pigs come in with the most dreadful feet so I had to learn quickly!

I use human toenail clippers which are by far the best thing I've found.

Ice is another good thing to use if you clip into the quick and make a nail bleed. A stiptic pencil (from boots) is easier to use than powdered products.

If a nail has got very long trim a tiny bit off every other day as the quick receeds between trimmings meaning you can soon get it back to a normal length.

Kate

I do the nail clipping myself - It's simple and easy once you get the hang of it. When I got my first ever piggy, the vet taught me how to trim their nails. As many people have said, do not cut the quick so it's best not to cut too much off.

If you ever do cut the quick, it will bleed for a while and is very painful for the piggy. I have some 'Quick Stopped' from Bunny Basics which stops the blood and pain however I have only had to use it once.

I will take some photo's of me cutting their nails and show you if it helps!

Livie

x

Mum does it herself too, I don't want to try lol. Is it easy? I have never believed in taking them to the vet for something simple like that!

Lol Han ;D I'm always quite nervous when doing it however it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it!

i do our piggies with them sat on a tennis racket.

that way they can chew the sides when they get bored and i also have great access to their feet!

i use human clippers on them too..

well i bought a baby set and it had a brush toothbrush and some cool nail clippers from 99p stores

does the job!

Most good pet stores that clip dogs fur will do your piggys nails for free and so do most vets - so get advise if your worried
Lottie xx

Hi Lukey! :)

I drew a simple diagram of a piggies nail and where you need to clip it. It's not very good, but I hope it helps!

nail_diagrame.jpg

Livie x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back