• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Cuy Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiggieHerd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm going as a volunteer to the "Cuy Showdown" this Saturday. We have two Guinea Pig rescues coming together (San Diego Wee Companions vs Los Angeles Guinea Pig Rescue) hosting a Cuy Showdown. Don't worry it is not a fight but a fundraiser and raising awareness about our local Cuy problem happening in California. Each rescue has adopted out a Cuy and they will be coming together for the showdown (measuring, weighing, etc.... and lettuce eating contest). There will be raffle prizes, piggie products and adoptable piggies at the event.

I ordered a special tshirt for the event:

I'll take lots of pictures and post them here

What a great way to raise awareness. I 'm looking forward to seeing your pigtures.

Best of luck! All the rescues involved are great standard rescues and worth supporting!

OMG, he is huge!

Thank you for posting those pictures, I had no idea to put FB on here.

They are humongous. I haven't met "Little John" but I've met "Hercules" and the pictures don't do any justice.

We did introduce a neuteured male cuy into our herd, but one our girls wasn't happy about it during the introduction. I've never seen Snowball adamantly pick on any piggie so it wasn't a match :(

Can't wait, I've been thinking about it all week.

They are gorgeous! Good luck at the event. x

I've been fascinated by Cuys since I read about them just over a year ago. They look lovely :)

Last edited:
Raising awareness about our local Cuy problem happening in California.

Sounds quite wonderful and I love your T-shirt, but what's the problem with cuys? Is that rescues are getting overrun with them. Hope all goes well and can't wait to see the pictures! x

I think, from what I've read, people are getting them without reading up enough, like how big they get, the fact that they can be really difficult to handle and tame etc etc, they're not just extra big guinea pigs ...

Hey Everyone,

I'm going as a volunteer to the "Cuy Showdown" this Saturday. We have two Guinea Pig rescues coming together (San Diego Wee Companions vs Los Angeles Guinea Pig Rescue) hosting a Cuy Showdown. Don't worry it is not a fight but a fundraiser and raising awareness about our local Cuy problem happening in California. Each rescue has adopted out a Cuy and they will be coming together for the showdown (measuring, weighing, etc.... and lettuce eating contest). There will be raffle prizes, piggie products and adoptable piggies at the event.

I'll take lots of pictures and post them here

I am looking forward to your pictures!

Have got that t-shirt, too - this time literally... :)

Oh I love the video :)
The competition looked like a lot of fun. Well done to both contestants! Gorgeous boys, the pair of them. Good luck with your rescue and with spreading the word. I can appreciate that they would require a special kind of home and are not suited to cages, but must have a very large and high enclosure. I imagine them to be best free-roaming the house :) No wonder so many end up in rescues, gorgeous though they are.

On a side note do I remember correctly that cuy are prone to heart problems, or am I way off the mark there?

Wow, I never really appreciated quite how massive they are! I love the photos at the end - Little John's face is like "...but I want some lettuce too!" as Hercules is chomping away :))

Thanks for posting the video. I tried to make my own video, but Valerie did a way better job then I did.

Here is a video of the Guinea Pigs in the shelter...

Sounds quite wonderful and I love your T-shirt, but what's the problem with cuys? Is that rescues are getting overrun with them. Hope all goes well and can't wait to see the pictures! x

Rescues are getting overruned with Cuys due to fact that people are thinking they are getting a normal size Guinea Pig at the pet stores then turns out they are 2x or bigger than the average Guinea Pig.

Cuys are also very skittish and wild in temperament. They will sometimes harm themselves by running away from their humans.

Wow, that really brings home how much larger they are than the typical guinea pig! I can see how they end up in rescues when people aren't able to house them in the expected housing or handle them when they aren't as docile as regular pigs. It's so sad that they are on the market that way when the typical owner will not be able to give them what they need. :( The videos were adorable, though! We aren't seeing these guys yet in Canada, though I wonder if eventually they will move north through the US and end up in the pet trade here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back