• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

cyst removal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Just wondering what peoples experience has been of cyst removal operations? how much did it cost? did your pig recover? Do you have to keep an eye on stitches,if they have them?

I'm absolutly terrified Bilbo wont survive!

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My pig Linney had a cyst or encapsulated abscess surgically removed from her lower back, just above the grease gland, last summer. They tried draining it first but it kept refilling and then the skin that had been covering it dried up and fell off so you could see the encapsulated lump right there at the surface- not much else to do but remove it. She went under general anasthesia and had the lump removed intact, and then the skin restitched over it. The vet used a type of stitches where the stitches are mainly buried under the skin so it's hard for the pigs to get at them. She actually did not pay much attention to the incision. We were probably lucky that it was right in the middle of her back low down and thus was hard for her to really reach for an extended period of time. It took awhile for the stitches to dissolve, and even longer for her fur to grow back from where they shaved her, but she recovered just fine. Not sure if the price will help as I don't know where you're living... I'm in Canada and the operation cost about two hundred dollars, plus the cost of antibiotics before and after. HTH a bit! Where is your piggie's cyst located?

Reaction score
My pig Linney had a cyst or encapsulated abscess surgically removed from her lower back, just above the grease gland, last summer. They tried draining it first but it kept refilling and then the skin that had been covering it dried up and fell off so you could see the encapsulated lump right there at the surface- not much else to do but remove it. She went under general anasthesia and had the lump removed intact, and then the skin restitched over it. The vet used a type of stitches where the stitches are mainly buried under the skin so it's hard for the pigs to get at them. She actually did not pay much attention to the incision. We were probably lucky that it was right in the middle of her back low down and thus was hard for her to really reach for an extended period of time. It took awhile for the stitches to dissolve, and even longer for her fur to grow back from where they shaved her, but she recovered just fine. Not sure if the price will help as I don't know where you're living... I'm in Canada and the operation cost about two hundred dollars, plus the cost of antibiotics before and after. HTH a bit! Where is your piggie's cyst located?
i think it might be an abcess cos its fairly hard. it maybe from a bite, i think he was with a rabbit before he came to me :(sounds as though its in the same place as you describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.