• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Cystophan and Bladder Issues

Lauraspigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Saffie had a bladder op 4 weeks ago, recovery has been long and unfortunately she had to go back into the vets this weekend as she was very poorly. They think it’s cystitis and are not sure whether she will fully recover or whether it’s IC so will always be an issue. Hopefully she can come home tomorrow and they told me today they have put her on cystophan?

can anyone advise on this, do I syringe it or is there other ways of giving it to her?

We are supposed to be going on holiday in November and my parents normally look after the girls but they wouldn’t be able to syringe it. Trying to sort in advance if I can get a pet sitter or if there is another way of giving it they may be able to do it. Otherwise they will be going in our place.

also can pigs carry on ok with IC? She’s only 3 and has been through so much, i so want her to recover and live as long as possible. Is there anything I can do to prevent it recurring?
Thanks

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Saffie had a bladder op 4 weeks ago, recovery has been long and unfortunately she had to go back into the vets this weekend as she was very poorly. They think it’s cystitis and are not sure whether she will fully recover or whether it’s IC so will always be an issue. Hopefully she can come home tomorrow and they told me today they have put her on cystophan?

can anyone advise on this, do I syringe it or is there other ways of giving it to her?

We are supposed to be going on holiday in November and my parents normally look after the girls but they wouldn’t be able to syringe it. Trying to sort in advance if I can get a pet sitter or if there is another way of giving it they may be able to do it. Otherwise they will be going in our place.

also can pigs carry on ok with IC? She’s only 3 and has been through so much, i so want her to recover and live as long as possible. Is there anything I can do to prevent it recurring?
Thanks
Hi!

Cystophan is pretty much the same as cystease, just a different brand name.

If it is capsules, you empty a capsule into a little container like small vet bottle and mix the powder from the capsule with 2 ml of water; shake well and then wait until it fully absorbed. Always shake before use. Guinea pigs often don't like powder in their food and are very good at nibbling around it so you have to see whether your girl does or doesn't. Could you do some syringe training with your parents if necessary?
You can either give 1 ml (i.e. 1 syringe full of the mix) in the mornings and evenings or give the whole 2 ml every 24 hours. Either way works.
Syringe Training Before The Need For Medicating

Please be aware that the glucosamine in the cystophan needs time to build up and help replenish the beleaguered glucosamine coating of the urinary tract so the effect is not instant. But it is the glucosamine coat that keeps the very corrosive urine coming into contact with raw tissue. When you have a stone being banging around with every flush, then that is very painful and irritating for the bladder or any tubes if a stone is passed.

Typically you get a bacterial cystitis after a bladder stone from bacteria in the bladder get into the scratches in the bladder wall made by the stone. This should react to an antibiotic.

Sterile interstitial cystitis (i.e. a non-bacterial recurring bladder infection) is a very different kettle of fish because it is not caused by stones but it cannot be healed by antibiotics and only managed with glucosamine and metacam (which is an anti-inflammatory as well as a painkiller) for as long as it is hanging around (more in the matter of years than months) and flaring up every few weeks/months until it goes away on its own. However, it doesn't cause bladder stones and is not life-shortening. Extreme cases can now be successfully managed with high glucosamine injections (cartrofen), which has recently been successfully trialled with guinea pigs. Cartrofen is an glucosamine based arthritis drug that is being used to also manage Feline Sterile Cystitis (FSC); it is pretty expensive.

Your vet is obviously clued up on the importance of glucosamine for comfort in piggies with urinary tract problems, so you seem to be in good hands.

My Nerys, the large teddy piggy in my avatar had sterile IC for three years, then lived another three years totally free of bladder problems and passed away aged 8 years from age related problems. My current sterile IC piggy has had it for two years now and is about 3 years old. But she is doing fine on the daily syringed glucosamine and is getting metacam whenever she has a flare up.

I hope that this helps you?

Lauraspigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

Cystophan is pretty much the same as cystease, just a different brand name.

If it is capsules, you empty a capsule into a little container like small vet bottle and mix the powder from the capsule with 2 ml of water; shake well and then wait until it fully absorbed. Always shake before use. Guinea pigs often don't like powder in their food and are very good at nibbling around it so you have to see whether your girl does or doesn't. Could you do some syringe training with your parents if necessary?
You can either give 1 ml (i.e. 1 syringe full of the mix) in the mornings and evenings or give the whole 2 ml every 24 hours. Either way works.
Syringe Training Before The Need For Medicating

Please be aware that the glucosamine in the cystophan needs time to build up and help replenish the beleaguered glucosamine coating of the urinary tract so the effect is not instant. But it is the glucosamine coat that keeps the very corrosive urine coming into contact with raw tissue. When you have a stone being banging around with every flush, then that is very painful and irritating for the bladder or any tubes if a stone is passed.

Typically you get a bacterial cystitis after a bladder stone from bacteria in the bladder get into the scratches in the bladder wall made by the stone. This should react to an antibiotic.

Sterile interstitial cystitis (i.e. a non-bacterial recurring bladder infection) is a very different kettle of fish because it is not caused by stones but it cannot be healed by antibiotics and only managed with glucosamine and metacam (which is an anti-inflammatory as well as a painkiller) for as long as it is hanging around (more in the matter of years than months) and flaring up every few weeks/months until it goes away on its own. However, it doesn't cause bladder stones and is not life-shortening. Extreme cases can now be successfully managed with high glucosamine injections (cartrofen), which has recently been successfully trialled with guinea pigs. Cartrofen is an glucosamine based arthritis drug that is being used to also manage Feline Sterile Cystitis (FSC); it is pretty expensive.

Your vet is obviously clued up on the importance of glucosamine for comfort in piggies with urinary tract problems, so you seem to be in good hands.

My Nerys, the large teddy piggy in my avatar had sterile IC for three years, then lived another three years totally free of bladder problems and passed away aged 8 years from age related problems. My current sterile IC piggy has had it for two years now and is about 3 years old. But she is doing fine on the daily syringed glucosamine and is getting metacam whenever she has a flare up.

I hope that this helps you?
Thank you, Sadly I don’t think I can train them and i really don’t want to board them as all the places near me either keep them outside or also have rabbits in etc and it worries me. My parents look after them brilliantly but just can’t do meds.

she’s back on antiobiotics, metacam etc so hopefully she may be ok by November when I’m meant to be away.

i had originally been discussing the Cartrofen injections with the vet that admitted her but a different vet called today about the cystophan. Does Cartrofen do the same As cystophan? I’m not worried about the cost I’ve already paid £1000 and have the bill to come for 4 days at the vets but just want to do the right thing and what’s better for all of us.

Zanzan

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I empty a capsule onto a small piece of romaine lettuce that I've wet first with filtered water. Beatrice eats every bit.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you, Sadly I don’t think I can train them and i really don’t want to board them as all the places near me either keep them outside or also have rabbits in etc and it worries me. My parents look after them brilliantly but just can’t do meds.

she’s back on antiobiotics, metacam etc so hopefully she may be ok by November when I’m meant to be away.

i had originally been discussing the Cartrofen injections with the vet that admitted her but a different vet called today about the cystophan. Does Cartrofen do the same As cystophan? I’m not worried about the cost I’ve already paid £1000 and have the bill to come for 4 days at the vets but just want to do the right thing and what’s better for all of us.
Try first whether she will eat it or not. Cartrofen is much stronger, but an infection before you went on holiday would mean that your parents wouldn't have to medicate, so it would be an alternative option for that period.

Lauraspigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Try first whether she will eat it or not. Cartrofen is much stronger, but an infection before you went on holiday would mean that your parents wouldn't have to medicate, so it would be an alternative option for that period.
they do the Cartrofen as a weekly injection for 4 weeks so would need to start in the next couple of weeks to be finished in time for holiday. Just can’t have metacam on the same day.

to be honest I’m not looking forward to syringing the cystophan in. Her choking or aspirating it terrifies me. I’m ok with recovery food but don’t like the idea of having to get a set amount of water in twice a day. If the Cartrofen is ok to use I think it’s a better option for all us.

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I had a Guinea Pig on cystophan . He loved the taste and it was as easy as anything to give it by syringe.

Personally, I would give cystophan a go .