• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Dad is humping the his boys

EightPaws

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Following on from https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/sexing-help-please.168926/ and https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/sexing-help-please-part-2.169462/.

We have eight kids from one dad and two mums. Seven of those at least are boys. The first four born were happily living with dad from when they were about 3-4 weeks old. Today I tried to introduce the slightly younger three boys to their pen (now they are also 3-4 weeks old). Dad went on a humping spree which didn't seem to slow. He targeted one in particular. That one fought back. We have taken dad out for now and the rest seem to more or less be ok together.

I'm just wondering if anyone has advice about how to handle this? Ideally I'd like all the boys together but I'm not sure if it is OK to let them fight / hump and sort it out.

mine did that for dominance, they were trying to show who was boss but after a while it calmed down. Good luck with your boys

Providing no blood is drawn it should be fine. However, as they are little babies, I'd be extra vigilant if you try to rebond. Humping is entirely expected and almost guaranteed, but you don't want any fur flying or actual lunging or tousling. If I were you, I'd pick a boy that dad gets on with and have them seperate to your group of boys, as generally big groups of boars don't work out long term so you should expect to have some seperate pairs :)

You really are going to have to make plans for the boys. Boars live companionably in pairs but anything other than that (trios or quads etc) isn’t going to work with such young boars. To my mind there is no benefit in leaving them together. You might as well bite the bullet now and separate them into pairs.
Boars: A guide to successful companionship.

Is there a secure nearby who can help you rehome the baby boars?

Hi folks,

Following on from https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/sexing-help-please.168926/ and https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/sexing-help-please-part-2.169462/.

We have eight kids from one dad and two mums. Seven of those at least are boys. The first four born were happily living with dad from when they were about 3-4 weeks old. Today I tried to introduce the slightly younger three boys to their pen (now they are also 3-4 weeks old). Dad went on a humping spree which didn't seem to slow. He targeted one in particular. That one fought back. We have taken dad out for now and the rest seem to more or less be ok together.

I'm just wondering if anyone has advice about how to handle this? Ideally I'd like all the boys together but I'm not sure if it is OK to let them fight / hump and sort it out.

Hi!

Boars go through the teenage months between 4-14 months during which time they are hit by very strong spikes of testosterone, which often results in humping and chasing orgies. Adding new piggies can also trigger a humping spree, especially when you introduce younger boys. Humping is dominance behaviour during introductions. Always have places that the older piggy can't get into during an intro in order for the younger piggies to escape from. The humping spree can last 1-2 days. The longest I have come across a was a full week from a recently neutered teenage boar being introduced to a sow group.

Please take the time to read these guides here, especially the chapters about boar and baby bonding and dominance:
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

A group of eight boars can work out, provided you have got plenty space that they can get away from each other (ideally about 1 square metre per boar) and that you have extra accommodation so you can split off/pair up any boars that clash during teenage. Otherwise I would recommend to rather pair them up. Boar pairs need a minimum of 1 square metre (i.e. 2x5 ft).

Back