1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daily Veggies

Discussion in 'Food' started by Lorcan, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Lorcan

Lorcan Teenage Guinea Pig

So, Blitzen will eat mint, coriander, sugarsnap peas, mangetout, parsley, peppers, carrots, lettuce, cabbage leaves (like savoy), spinach, baby corn

Comet will eat kale, peppers, parsley and leaves. That's it. I have no idea why he's suddenly decided he hates pretty much everything that gets put in front of him, but it's an even bigger problem because Blitzen will eat pretty much everything. He'll also steal the stuff Comet will eat while Comet is eating it, which is rather unhelpful.

They get scatter fed their veggies, so I can put it in separate places for them, but eventually they'll both end up at the same pile, with the same problem. Comet gets really upset if they're separated at feeding time, so that's not an option either.

I need to find some way of getting Comet's veggies into him, but I'm not sure what else to try. Broccoli is off the menu because the smell of it makes me heave for some reason, and...I have no teeth, so I generally don't eat veggies because they're very difficult for me to eat. Anything I buy has to be for them, which again, limits my options somewhat.

2. sport_billy

sport_billy Administrator
    Staff Member

Cucumber? yet to meet a piggy that dislikes cucumber. Some piggies are more fussy than others... Has he always been this fussy?

3. Lorcan

Tried them with cucumber and courgette before, neither were really touched. He's never been as fussy as this before, he's never liked mint but he used to eat everything else on Blitzen's list fine. It's only been since I had him at the vet and he kept refusing the Baytril, that's really when he started it. Definitely became more obvious this past few weeks with the neighbour incident though.

4. CarnivalPiggy

CarnivalPiggy Adult Guinea Pig

Not sure about the food (watermelon? most of my piggies have loved it), but is there a chance of giving Blitzen his food while Comet is in the cage, then getting Comet out for his own?

5. Tiamolly123

Forum Donator 2016/17

They get really fussy sometimes, I swear it's just to wind up us owners. Sweet corn not every day,chopped parsnip, celery, cauliflower, swede, apples, pears, raspberries, & if they don't work. Stick him in front of the TV with a TV dinner.
    If your not there over night, how about putting the TV or radio on upstairs maybe won't bother them, as much.

Lorcan likes this.
  6. Swissgreys

Forum Buddy

Mine all seem to enjoy fennel and green beans.
    And of curse there are always blueberries :drool:

Lorcan likes this.
  7. MooseandBear

MooseandBear Junior Guinea Pig

I have the same problem with one of my piggies! Moose will eat his carrots immediately, and then ignore his romaine and peppers! Sometimes he will eat them all, and sometimes next to none! My other little guy, Bear, is an eating machine, though! He loves his veggies and Vitamin C tablet! (It's really cute when I bring out the food bag; he starts popcorning around his bowl!:P:P:P)

8. Lorcan

Heheh I'm so glad it's not just Comet, lol. Fruit wise they're pretty good, both like grapes, apples, blackberries and of course, blueberries. I might try raspberries, but I have a strawberry allergy so those are out. It's just that I swear these things are easier to buy when I can eat them too. Generally however if I'm home, unless I'm having a cigarette which I have in the kitchen (well away from them) then I'm in the living room with them, because that's where my PC is. But I can't have Blitzen out and Comet in, because Blitzen hates being out. Can't have Blitzen in and Comet out, because I can just see the carnage he'd make of my sofa eating all his veggies up there.

I guess I'll just have to keep trying then. Not really sure if there's anything new I can introduce to try and shake it up a bit for him, I have a major aversion to tomatoes (can you have a phobia of tomatoes?) and I know they won't eat basil. Is there anything else herbs wise aside from parsley, coriander and mint?

Swissgreys likes this.
  9. MooseandBear

Cilantro and Thyme maybe? Also there's Fennel. Good luck!

10. Lorcan

Thyme and fennel, I'll have to see about those. Cilantro is the same thing as coriander :)

11. MooseandBear

Right... My bad!:lol:

Lorcan likes this.
  12. CarnivalPiggy

Dandelion and the leaf also? Not sure how often it can be feed though

13. Lorcan

Thanks, but I live in a flat and don't have a garden. There's grass like half a second walk out the building door but I dunno how much I'd trust it to be safe tbh

14. CarnivalPiggy

No, I wouldn't pick from it either, shame

15. piggieminder

Forum Donator 2016/17

Mine eat things one week and not the next, drives me mad sometimes 'cause I can't work out what I'm supposed to offer. It took me 10 months to get S & P to eat red pepper, now they won't touch it again. Are the latest 10 I've offered the wrong shade of red? Is it the wrong month, day, cut too thick too thin? What? Fine green beans, what's the difference between M & S and ASDA? Beans grown in Kenya or US? I coud go on and on.
    Spike also eats more than Peanut as he eats quicker and rushes round the cage to get all his favourite bits. Peanut won't eat out of the cage away from Spike as he's too worried what those nasty humans might do to him if he lets his guard down. One things for sure life's never dull around these little critters.

Chloe Winter and Lorcan like this.
  16. Kylie80

Kylie80 Adult Guinea Pig

Have you tried dill? I don't know if anyone else suggested it but it's one of the herbs my piggies adore for an occasional treat.

17. Lorcan

I haven't tried dill, I'm going to have to look into that next time I go shopping. I have to laugh at the minute though...I gave them some thyme to see if they'd try it and I noticed someone had been eating it. I watched and....it's Blitzen. I mean I shouldn't really be surprised, but seriously dude, I don't _need_ you to eat more stuff, I need your buddy to eat more stuff!

18. MooseandBear

Haha! Those little furballs!

Lorcan likes this.
  19. Lorcan

They do have a nice little system going on at the minute though. Comet eats the leaves and Blitzen eats around the leaves in search for that delicious, tasty thyme.

Pair of eejits.

20. MooseandBear