• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Daisy Hasn't Pooped In 12 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fletcherandmilo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Last night before bed time about 9pm Daisy was on a cushion getting petted and that was the last time that she pooped. When I put her back in her cage she stayed in there all night and hasn't pooped. This morning about 8.40 Daisy had her breakfast, spinach and pepper, and then I brought her out to run on the floor about 9.20, she soon had to go back in her cage because she was acting very differently, she was chewing almost violently at the grids I have around to stop her getting to wires, she seems very different, I wonder if she is stressed. Daisy at the moment is a lone guinea pig because she bullied poppy to the point where I had to separate them for the safety of poppy ( she wasn't aloud food or water, or even aloud out of her bed for that matter ) we are hoping to get Daisy a new friend in a few months when she is abit older and maybe past the teenage stage. Could there be something up?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Last night before bed time about 9pm Daisy was on a cushion getting petted and that was the last time that she pooped. When I put her back in her cage she stayed in there all night and hasn't pooped. This morning about 8.40 Daisy had her breakfast, spinach and pepper, and then I brought her out to run on the floor about 9.20, she soon had to go back in her cage because she was acting very differently, she was chewing almost violently at the grids I have around to stop her getting to wires, she seems very different, I wonder if she is stressed. Daisy at the moment is a lone guinea pig because she bullied poppy to the point where I had to separate them for the safety of poppy ( she wasn't aloud food or water, or even aloud out of her bed for that matter ) we are hoping to get Daisy a new friend in a few months when she is abit older and maybe past the teenage stage. Could there be something up?
Please have her checked by a vet as soon as you can and weigh her daily instead of weekly.

Is she still eating and drinking normally? If you notice any weight loss or change in food intake (like stopping eating pellets or hay, which sould make up to 80% of the daily food intake), this usually indicates a health problem (dental, pain or digestive), which needs to be addressed by a vet.

If she stops eating completely and looks very off, no poos could signify a blockage, in which case you are dealing with an acute emergency.

The violent bar chewing is typical for a separated guinea pig that is unhappy and desperately wants to be back with their companion.

Fletcherandmilo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thankyou, she doesn't chew he own cage bars, she was just chewing the grids that I use to separate her and certain parts of the living room to stop her getting to the wires, she usually egnore them but today she didn't

gizzy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Has she got an enlarged tummy ?
It could be that here tummy has been comptomised by to much veg .

There tummies are not unlike a large fermentation vat , put to much in
or even a peice of vege that is past its sell buy date could cause tummy
problems,
If she were my pig I would slowly cut down on the vegetables , and slowly
increase the hay and dried food, N.B hay more than anyting is needed for
teeth wear, , digestion.

Fletcherandmilo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
She hasn't got an enlarged tummy that I can see or feel, she is eating fine, but it's 15 hours later and she still hasn't relieved herself, if it was Monday she would already be at the vets already but it's abit trickier on a weekend getting a vet to come out for something that isn't classed as an emergency

gizzy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
15 hours is a long time
if she were my pig I would see your vet ASAP

Elwickcavies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Food in but nothing out is very worrying in a pig. I would try to get her to a vet as soon as possible.

biscandmatt

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
glad she has pooped, although i would still see your exotics/cavy-savvy vet (vet locator at the top of the page for recommendations) as soon as possible to make sure nothing else is building up inside and that nothing else is going on. you need to find out why this has happened and she may need some gut stimulant meds to clear any remaining poops inside. the longer the gut is slowed down for, the more likely it is for other problems to occur. gases and toxins build up, the body is put under extra pressure, the whole good bacteria balance is disrupted and the piggy will likely feel poorly.

the fact she has been bullying towards her previous friend, and the fact that she is bar biting so violently, makes me think she is agitated for some reason - illness, pain, or loneliness for example.

this link may help if you need help finding a vet and the vet locator's nearest one is too far http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-...ter.x=36&filter.y=19&search=true#show-results

Status
Not open for further replies.