• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dandruff and *was* a bump on nose...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi :)p

ok, so my Mei (at a guess she must be around 4yrs old) has got dandruff on her back... is this normal, piggies to have dandruff (meaning could i treat her with anything from gorgoeus guinneas?)
also about a week ago she had a little lump/cyst on her nose, wasnt harming her, just made her fur stick out a little, so it was too much of a concern, but now the lump has gone and all that is there is a crusty very round patch of fur?

the lump didnt have a "head" to it, so not a abcess or graze, just a bump..
I'm just concerned.. it doesnt cause her any pain and she has no other marks anywhere.. this "patch" is about the size of less than 1/2 pea size.. and its white crusty and round patch.. what would or is this? would it be better with a picture (i would have to get one 2moro now, as its dark and piggies gone to bed)

oh and she hasnt lost any weight since having this mark.. so she still has her healthy appitite..

Any suggestions would be great :)

Esther x

sounds like the "dandruff" could be mites, and the lump on nose sounds like ringworm. Mine have had both
Could you possibly take a picture?
Afraid she will need to go to vets to be checked out and will most likely need treatment x

ok, will take her to vet... I'm really worried now as i read that its very contageous... :{ so i would have to scrub everything? they all live outside in their hutch and run.. even scrub the wood down?! i even keep ferrets?! and there are other piggies living in a hutch next to door to this group of piggies... even wash their stuff thorough?

she defo has dandruff as its flakes of skin comming away.. yep just wanted to check what it could be, but i shall make a apointment for 2moro...:red

OMG! what about me.. i always wash my hands after handling any of my animals..i will have to wash my jacket i always wear when seeing to the animals i suppose.. oh god I'm really worried.. what happends if all my animals get ringworm... all the years ive kept animals ive never come across ringworm before.. but will i get this!?

what is a good disenfectant to buy (that i can use asap, besides waiting to buy one online)

esther x

Last edited:
ok, will take her to vet... I'm really worried now as i read that its very contageous... :{ so i would have to scrub everything? they all live outside in their hutch and run.. even scrub the wood down?! i even keep ferrets?! and there are other piggies living in a hutch next to door to this group of piggies... even wash their stuff thorough?

she defo has dandruff as its flakes of skin comming away.. yep just wanted to check what it could be, but i shall make a apointment for 2moro...:red

esther x

my vets gave me some stuff do clean everything. Was told it can take 6 months in wood to get rid of.
I cant remember the name off the top of my head, but you can get some cleaner (used in stables it has a k in the name) which is very good.
You would be best puuing any animals that have been incontact (or via yourself) in plastic cages until clear
take precautions when handling, i got some good adice on the above thread x

my vets gave me some stuff do clean everything. Was told it can take 6 months in wood to get rid of.
I cant remember the name off the top of my head, but you can get some cleaner (used in stables it has a k in the name) which is very good.
You would be best puuing any animals that have been incontact (or via yourself) in plastic cages until clear
take precautions when handling, i got some good adice on the above thread x

ok, wow the vet should give me stuff then.. so i should seperate my piggy and put her in a plastic cage? is this right?! if yes, and they say it should 6months to go.. wow 6months without a friend for her :(.. she will have to live in my shed for the meanwhile... does this mean i would have to clean my whole shed aswell?! :{

sorry all the questions.. no doupt i will ask the vet all this 2moro..

Esther x

ok, wow the vet should give me stuff then.. so i should seperate my piggy and put her in a plastic cage? is this right?! if yes, and they say it should 6months to go.. wow 6months without a friend for her :(.. she will have to live in my shed for the meanwhile... does this mean i would have to clean my whole shed aswell?! :{

sorry all the questions.. no doupt i will ask the vet all this 2moro..

Esther x

in my case the actual ringworm cleared up in weeks
i was told not to seperate the boys that had been together, and even though only 1 had it, i was given stuff to treat them both.
I would recommend putting them in a plastic cage, just because it is easier to clean it x

in my case the actual ringworm cleared up in weeks
i was told not to seperate the boys that had been together, and even though only 1 had it, i was given stuff to treat them both.
I would recommend putting them in a plastic cage, just because it is easier to clean it x

haha well i have 4 that live 2gether.. :{ and does the plastic cage have to be a "plastic tank" styled.. as i only have indoor piggy cages.. i would have to buy one... i dont have that much space to store another cage.. grrrr

Esther x

Last edited:
haha well i have 4 that live 2gether.. :{ and does the plastic cage have to be a "plastic tank" styled.. as i only have indoor piggy cages.. i would have to buy one... i dont have that much space to store another cage.. grrrr

Esther x

no, just something that is easier to clean. wood is porous. Indoor cages are perfect x

oh phew.. ok i realise ringworm is a big deal but after looking it up its not so huge as I'm thinking.. i think i may take Mei and her sister both to the vets due to them both being the same age and sisters and the closest 2 pigpies that "hang-out" together in the cage that way mei would have company while she is and her sister is being treated.. as my plastic cages i have arent big enough to house 4 piggies..@)

thankyou everyone for helping me out.. x>>

Esther x

oh phew.. ok i realise ringworm is a big deal but after looking it up its not so huge as I'm thinking.. i think i may take Mei and her sister both to the vets due to them both being the same age and sisters and the closest 2 pigpies that "hang-out" together in the cage that way mei would have company while she is and her sister is being treated.. as my plastic cages i have arent big enough to house 4 piggies..@)

thankyou everyone for helping me out.. x>>

Esther x

yeah, as long as you wash your hands between handling (and wearing an apron helps).

hope it goes well at vets, let us know x

Ok... so went to vets today and to be honest it was pointless... they didnt have any ringworm treatment in their vets at all for me! not even anything to give me for cats and dogs! mallethead they said they only get it in as a special item.. this i didnt understand as ringworm is contageous why on earth should you have to wait for the treatment?! and it takes a week to arrive!

anywhoo. she thinks Mei may have mites (she wasnt 100% certain she has ringworm) so I'm treating her for mites just encase... But.. I was faffing so much on how to protect myself and how to clean the cage she even didnt have any sollution for that just said that anything with iodine in will kill ringworm..and anti bacterial sprays wont do anything as its not a anti fungal treatment (bought a couple of those hand sanitizers just encase, so now those are a load of rubbish then)

so i bought some iodine from a countryside store and put that with water in a spray bottle to clean their cages.. but i can't use it as it stains your hands yellow..grrrr

anywhoo.. so it looks like I'm treating her myself.. i didnt want to wait for medication to arrive when it has to be done asap..

so i bought some anti fungal spray (which says it treats ringworm) aswell..

just curious does anyone recomend anything stronger to use on ringworm or will the anti fungal spray be enough? and with fast P+P :)) I'm going to give her mite treatment a couple of days to get round her skin then treat her for the fungal

Esther x

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back