• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dandruff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Guinea Pig

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Today I noticed a bit of dandruff on Lola's blonde/ginger patches of fur, I brush it back and not much comes off, but there is dandruff. I know that it can be the sign of mites, and her ears are ok -no white patches etc. Do you think we should do a vet visit?

We took them both to the vets, they were thoroughly checked by eye, no microscope and she said that she couldn't see anything. She said it's most likely dry skin, and she prescribed us some oil to put on their food to keep their coat in good condition. Give me a minute and I'll show you it, if I'm honest I'm not sure about it.

She said that it is used for small furies as well as cats. But I don't feel comfortable using it unless people on the forum know. @Wiebke
View attachment 33348

I haven't got any experience with that one, sorry.

In any case, please do not home treat before a vet diagnosis, as you can falsify the diagnosis and cause any treatment to have to be postponed.

I can see what you mean @Wiebke that it could hide any signs which aren't related to dry skin.

A lot of skin issues can look very similar, especially at first or in a mild form. By treating before any diagnosis you are making a vet's job much harder or even impossible and you can end up with a misdiagnosis as a result.

@Wiebke she took the guinea pigs to the vets and that oil is what the vet gave to her for the guinea's coat/skin. The vet said it was dry skin.

If your vet has given it and it specifically mentions small animals, then it should be OK. Sorry, I am having abit of a stressful time privately at the moment.

I've never heard of this & I would be reluctant to use it as well :( How piggy savvy is this vet? Dandruff can be cause by a lot of things; mine are prone to it being Rex piggies but I have just been & got them all treated by injection for mites as there was a tiny patch of one of them with a little dandruff & teeny bit of hair thinning (Not loss). Because I spot things so very early & get prompt treatment they never display typical signs of mites. Have a good look all over their back & feel right down to the skin, a proper look will take you about 15 minutes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back