• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Dandruff

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobunny

Hi,

I have a 6 year old female with longish hair which I have taken on from a family as she was replaced by a puppy:(:(

When I comb her a lot of flaky skin falls out like dandruff, I don't think it's mites as it does not appear to be crusty and there is no hair loss and bald patches.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

maureen

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
Hello, welcome to the forum.

She may just have flaky/dry skin, just like some of us humans get. Have you thought about giving her a nice bath (if she'll tolorate it), it might help moisturise her skin? I wouldnt worry too much providing she is fit and healthy otherwise and no signs of bothering her skin.

It may well just be a change or environment (ie from living outside to indoors), change of food/diet, hay, change of house or a combonation.

x.

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Keep a check for bald patches and thinning of the hair

Maybe bathe her with some nizoral shampoo - that helps with dandruff

mobunny

Thanks for your replies.

Has anyone ever used Evening Primrose all on food for this condition or to improve coat condition.

I was advised to do this once with a rabbit that had a mild skin condition.

Maureen

Status
Not open for further replies.