• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Danielle's guinea pigs

Unfortunately Gizmo didn't really respond to Sulfatrim so we are now trying Marbocyl which he assures me tastes absolutely disgusting.
IMG_2464.jpg

Meanwhile all the other pigs were really not chuffed with their cage change last week, begging me for peaflakes because I'd removed their stinky, perfectly arranged mess.

IMG_2473.jpg
IMG_2471.jpg

However, fresh fleece and cosies always ends up having a soporific effect on everypig...
IMG_2455.jpg

Now, I know my chickens technically aren't pigs but just look at them striding out in my garden, ready to drop their next hip-hop album ("Flown the Coop")
IMG_2519 (1).jpg

Sounds a bit sad, but taking these photos is helping me to spend more quality time with my piggies, it's lovely. I'm itching rearrange the pigroom so everyone is on the same (hip-height) level, but that's a lot of work and moving things around. Need to work on persuading the site manager (husband) ;)

For the first time in about two years, I set up floortime for the bigger herd today.

IMG_2603.jpg

They have an IKEA DUKTIG in their cage already but draping it with fleece for a change seemed popular.
IMG_2625.jpg

Widget Steve enjoyed saying hello to each member of the herd but chose to tease Quint on this occasion by refusing to be summoned by Quints onk-onk noises.
IMG_2634.jpg

Maple did what she does best the entire time... stuffing her face.
IMG_2655.jpg

Brown paper twisted with forage was very popular, to run through, to nibble, to wear as a fancy hat...
IMG_2661.jpg

All pigs were more active than I've ever seen them in this herd configuration (they are usually very lazy indeed), with Maggie being a streak of greased lightning who just had to sample all the forbidden delights of floortime such as the black rubbish bag, labels, the thick plastic haybag, and the washbag.
IMG_2642.jpg

Finally, have this lovely little video of Quint doing old-man popcorns. His wonky incisor certainly isn't stopping him from enjoying life!

Things have been a bit up and down since I was here last. Gizmo's "URI" turned out to be a lovely abscess!

IMG_2742.jpg

Gizmo managed a lance, drain, and marsupialisation all only with local anaesthetic! Such a brave lad. Unfortunately Marbocyl didn't touch the infection, and Baytril isn't either (we had it cultured and it is sensitive to the latter). He really wasn't enjoying twice-daily saline flushes... We swapped to TriChlor scrubs pretty quickly.

IMG_2747.jpg

Then his eye decided to have really swollen conjunctiva. He's currently on eyedrops for this, but again (like the oral antibiotic) it doesn't seem to be doing much. He's still got pus coming from his eye, nose, and wound at times.

IMG_2851.jpg

So, today I completely rearranged the pigroom so I could do what I should have done a long time ago... Have a guinea pig wellness-check/medication/feeding table. Sigh.

IMG_2893.jpg
IMG_2894.jpg

Sadly Gizmo has lost his appetite today so instead of critical care top-ups, we are going to have to step in with syringe feeding proper. I wish Maple could lend Gizmo some of her chunk. She's got a built in pillow for goodness' sake :drool:

IMG_2830.jpg

Poor Gizmo. He looks very fed up. Bless him. I hope the antibiotics start to kick in soon. I had a piggy with a tooth root abscess resentful. Zithromax was a good antibiotic after Baytril didn’t do anything. Good luck.

Sadly Gizmo passed away, he ended up aspirating the flushes through a fistula that formed between his abscess and septum and got a raging URI on top of everything. I am so lucky in that I was able to bond Steve with Maple, a spayed female. They just about tolerate each other, hence why this photo is Steve chilling on the cuddle bed on the lower right with Maple at the other end of the cage!

B1A74B94-0345-4252-B50A-63CAC4717D48.jpeg

In happier news, yesterday was piggy salon and Quint and Tamika were furious that they required a drastic butt cut due to old-age related self-neglect. They will be writing to GPU about their lack of autonomy.

7AEC250A-60B1-4C09-836B-47BD260A59E7.jpeg

However, I think a tidy-up has made them super photogenic!

C1E4F2E8-C1B9-464F-9221-75DCA42B96C7.jpeg

I’m so sorry you lost Gizmo. Popcorn high over the bridge. Take care ❤️

Quint and Tamika are gorgeous.
So sorry that you lost Gizmo.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve

I'm so sorry that you lost Gizmo :hug:

Quint and Tamika are beautiful little floofballs! 🥰

As the piggies are getting older, they love their comforts. Steve in particular seeks out patches of sunshine.AF65564E-932C-4FB0-8F26-77798096C42D.jpeg

Maggie on guard as ever.
C3613D8F-C607-4A05-88EE-679D90A88A17.jpeg

Maple horrified that I don’t offer “breakfast in bed” peaflake delivery service.
BF138F4E-8560-43A1-909F-12AC965122E3.jpeg

Poor baldy-bum Tamika proving that she can do as good as croissant impression as any other piggy.
D3D545D8-A863-4655-A12C-664208B9189E.jpeg

I have a really soft spot for Quint, even though he’s a fraidy pig.
0A7993C3-A4B0-4CBF-BCDE-BAA7BD64A5E8.jpeg

“Did I miss anything!?”
DACD09DE-5637-4F6B-91B1-D702FD59EADA.jpeg

Just like his wonderful mum Tablet, he absolutely loves getting his chin rubbed! Also wonky teefies due to root damage. Doesn’t bother him one bit, bless.
0E3567C2-7464-455B-BFB0-9704BB450B65.jpeg

Cuteness attack!

Awww, Quint really is a sweetie! What floof! :luv:

Back