• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

deaf pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizmo01

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
ok as far as we can asertain by making noises and calling him (favourite russtle bag trick aswell) piglet appears to be totally deaf..this is his second ear infection thing and he now doesnt seem to be able to hear anything. obviously this is a shame. what i would like to know is how to we as slaves/carers help him to adapt to a now silent world?

I am so sorry about Piglet's ear infections and the hearing problem. Hopefully, it will go down again somewhat eventually.

You will have go learn to give him more optical cues, like waving your hand (quick movements) when you bring food, or just a quick gentle touch if you want to get his attention.

Piglet can still live a normal life.

we have decided for his safety to pair him with gizmo as gizmo is a gentle old lad unlike humph or rocky

Good idea.

Perhaps you may find this thread uplifting. Jasper is completely deaf and mostly blind, but after his neutering op he is now happily living with two elderly girls. Belle has him firmly under her paw and is telling him what he is allowed to and what not, but Jasper is doing all the normal boar stuff and it is isn't keeping him from popcorning all over the place! He and his long curly hair are both growing at a rate of knots! He still knows when Jo is coming into the room and greets her.
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60198
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61319

Oh heck i was hoping he'd get his hearing back :(

You will find also that if you tap loudy enough on the ground he'll feel the movement...........do this when putting his food down etc..
Great idea for him to have Gizmo as his hearing guide pig x)
Just make sure you don't startle him.......i find if i startle Velvet she gets upset (she's blind) you and Piglet will learn together what suits :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back