• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Dealing with flies

PoppysPiggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
With it being warmer, flies are becoming very attracted to my piggies hutch (which is inside), even though I deep clean it often so I really can't do anything else where that is concerned.

I have had to resort to a fly zapper, which I feel awful about, since the noise is horrible and I feel really cruel, but I'd rather that than any harm comes to my pigs. The problem is that it seems to really scare the pigs, when I came down this morning after leaving it on all night, they were too scared to greet me, whereas they're normally very chatty in the morning.

Are there any alternatives or any way to make it less scary for the pigs? I suppose I could just put it on when the pigs are outside, which is pretty much all day when the weather is good. All of the flies are house flies at the minute, so there is no real risk of fly strike, but I still worry and they could still lay eggs in the hutch, which wouldn't be nice for anyone. I'm still checking the pigs for any form of mess around their bottoms at least twice a day, I'm a bit paranoid about fly stike.

Thanks everyone 😊

Are they coming through the windows? Maybe use a fly screen of some sort on windows and doors. Otherwise I’m not too sure. Hopefully others will have some more ideas.

I use the twisted stick fly paper in my "the hutch ".they work well ,please know that the fly zappers gave off an electric charge, piggies are sensitive to them l,m sure they feel it. I try ed one and soon binned it,

Are they coming through the windows? Maybe use a fly screen of some sort on windows and doors. Otherwise I’m not too sure. Hopefully others will have some more ideas.
I'm not too sure how they're getting in really, I've had the windows closed recently since it's been a bit cold, and the door to the room is always kept shut since we have cats, it's an old house so I guess there are little crevices that they can get through

I use the twisted stick fly paper in my "the hutch ".they work well ,please know that the fly zappers gave off an electric charge, piggies are sensitive to them l,m sure they feel it. I try ed one and soon binned it,
I guessed they might be sensitive to it, I can't stand to be in the room while it's on, I'm very sensitive to sounds and could feel it vibrating. I didn't really process that the pigs could too though, I didn't want to upset them, but I don't think I'll turn it on with them in the room again.

I think I'll try fly paper, I think it's a bit disgusting in all honesty, but I'll try anything to keep them safe

I think flies just find a way in somehow - I’ve used the fly sticky paper before - very effective - important to protect the little furries 😊

Flies don’t like the herb basil. If you get some fresh basil plants and put it in pots by doorways, windows etc then flies supposedly stay away. The benefit of course is that basil tastes nice to us and piggies (in moderation), so it can be used as well as serve a purpose

Flies don’t like the herb basil. If you get some fresh basil plants and put it in pots by doorways, windows etc then flies supposedly stay away. The benefit of course is that basil tastes nice to us and piggies (in moderation), so it can be used as well as serve a purpose
I love basil, I'm actually growing some outside, so I guess I could dig up a bit and bring it in

That’s a great idea - you can get special flyscreen mesh quite cheaply - years ago I made some screens for our summer house when we lived near a horse manure heap - its very easy if you can do basic sewing

You could put a screen made of fine netting over the front of the hutch to keep the flies out.
I have a Scratch and Newton hutch hugger on my hutch, it has an included fly-screen. Or you could make your own out of net curtain material or similar.
I actually have a mosquito net, I think it should fit over the hutch nicely. Thank you, I'd never thought of it before

Our rabbits are outside and I used an old net curtain to put over the outsdie of their hutch door. I cut it roughly to size and attatched it using some small nails. It does rip eventually, but one cheap net curtain is enough to make several door covers. Initially I had the curtain hanging down over the front of their hutch, but it was a pain to clean them, refill water bottles, etc, which I why I cut it to size.

Back