• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Dealing With Messy Hay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smithy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a new guinea pig owner having adopted from a rescue centre.

I'm hoping to gain some valuable input from more experienced owners on how you deal with the mess caused by hay.
It's everywhere!

We have fairly big bails which we've kept in large plastic storage containers. However the transfer between the box and the guinea pig cage seems to resort in stray hay escaping which quickly finds its way trodden throughout the house.

Anyone have any hints or tips about keeping the hay mess to a minimum?

Hello and welcome to the forum. My flat has hay everywhere! There are often threads on here about hay turning up in unusual places like in peoples socks and even floating past them while having a bath. I actually do not think it is possible to keep hay tidy. I store mine in a hay bag that I ordered from Amazon but it still escapes! Sorry not to have been more help.

My mum hates when theres hay everywhere, which usually results in me on my hands and knees a few times a day sweeping it up! I get mine from tesco so it comes in a plastic bag and when i need to use it its small enough that i can put it in the hutch to minimise the mess.

Hello and welcome to the forum! I too find Hay everywhere! I try my best to make sure any bits I drop are hoovered immediately, but that doesn't always help.

I can also sympathise about hay getting everywhere.

How about filling up a plastic carrier bag with hay and leaving it by the cage instead of having to transfer large amounts from the storage tub to the cage.

I store all my hay in the shed. When I have large bales, I fill a carrier bag up and keep it under the cage and when I have small bales, I just store that under the cage. It minimises it being transferred all over the house and it tends to just stick around the guinea pigs room.

I have hay in the garage in a bale. I transfer a few sections into an Ikea bag from which I fill a carrier bag with hay for each tray. Carrier bag goes through the house and emptied into tray with no hay spilt. It does however go everywhere when I'm cleaning out the trays and carrying them back through the house to the garage!

Hi and :wel:!
My mum hates when theres hay everywhere, which usually results in me on my hands and knees a few times a day sweeping it up! I get mine from tesco so it comes in a plastic bag and when i need to use it its small enough that i can put it in the hutch to minimise the mess.
I'm like @Kayleigh__Jane hay gets everywhere even though my piggys are outside and that is one of the points my parents use to say no to piggys indoors!

Hay is messy, full stop! Unless you can train a piggy or two to follow you eating the stray bits of course!:D

Hay gets everywhere lol. Sometimes my hubby thinks he's living in a barn. Lol. :xd:

I have carpet sweeper, it's fantastic, it's really quick and effective for after filling their hay racks or sweeping up the bedding they kick out the cage, you can get them really cheap, i got mine from argos for £13.99! :)

P.S - I know it sounds old fashioned but it helps me have a clean bedroom...

Thanks everyone for the ideas!

I like the sound of the ikea bags - quite sturdy so less chance of stuff escaping - and big enough to hang under the hay rack as I fill it - catch the stray bits.
We did used to keep the hay in the shed but mice got into it (and then into the house!) so now its in the house in big under bed plastic boxes.

I feel like a complete idiot with the carpet sweeper. I've been putting guinea in his run or in another room when I hoover because of the noise.... a carpet sweeper hadn't crossed my mind!

And as for odd places the hay gets, the upset look the dog gave me when he went to have a drink and there were a few large bits of hay floating in it, still makes me smile.

We just stopped calling the hoover 'the hoover' and started calling it 'the baling machine' and that helped us to accept the problem!:)

I got:ban: from the hover!

I don't know why it's not like the hay is such a pain and clogs it up nice and proper.... the it wasn't me line :whistle: doesn't work too well when you own six guinea pigs ;)

I've found hay on the toilet seat and still haven't worked out how to keep the place clean. I sometimes just end up hoovering twice a day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back