• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Death of cagemate

ChloeRo3e

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Lucky an Hazel are about 1 year old. My daughter (shes 14) went away on vacation luckys health went down hill quick. Ive read because of stress that can happen? They was well taken care of. Sadly lucky passed away the 9th. Leaving poor hazel scared an very depressed not to mention looking for her bestfriend...she isolated herself in her pigloo i stayed by herside as much as i could made sure she didn't give up. But something broke in hazel 😢 Days later with my help shes acting alot better! Not so much in her pigloo an eating an drinking normally. Should I still monitor her or is she more or less adapting to her new normal? . . . .I know shes lonely but i give her alott of attention when i can!

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Most guinea pigs will HAVE to have a friend. Usually, if a guinea pig is depressed they will not display much energy and not eat and drink as much as they normally would. Just watch out for these signs and everything should be okay.

Some signs for depression in Guinea pigs are:

Not showing an interest in food and water. Not moving around much. Sitting facing a corner or the wall. Generally uninterested in life.

Guinea pigs always need a friend because humans cant speak Guinea pig language or act like them, eat hay, drink water out of their bottle, crawl around.

Wishing you and your piggy the best!

Last edited:
I agree with the above, please switch to weighing her daily instead of weekly. If she is losing weight then she might be in acute grief and need a new friend as a matter of urgency. It's also highly unlikely that your daughter going away caused Lucky to go downhill. Guinea pigs are prey animals and as such hide their illnesses very well so often by the time we see they are ill it has already progressed considerably. This is why we recommend weekly weigh ins and health checks to try and pick up any illnesses as quickly as possible

Hazel is grieving. I agree with the above comments too... She needs another Piggie friend bless her x

Welcome in sad circumstance.
Lots great advise above.
As in humans we struggle when a loved one dies. Keep her busy with things best you can and a mate oh yes not a replacement but a new start for all x

Hello..take some time to give yourself and your daughter the time to grieve over the loss of your beloved pet. Please consider adopting a cage mate her age or close so she is not alone, as guinea pigs will get very depressed especially after this unfortunate death. Wishing the best x

Thank you all for the advice! Sadly i cant afford atm to get another piggie here there expensive. I have so much hay an pellets lol id love another lady at some point. Below is hazel (tan an white) an lucky (black)Screenshot_20190320-191201.png1552190476746.jpg

How long do you think it would be before you could get another pig? As others have said, it's extremely important that she does have a friend. Especially with her grieving like this. Guinea pigs can suffer a lot after the death of a cagemate and it can affect their health.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Most guinea pigs will HAVE to have a friend. Usually, if a guinea pig is depressed they will not display much energy and not eat and drink as much as they normally would. Just watch out for these signs and everything should be okay.

Some signs for depression in Guinea pigs are:

Not showing an interest in food and water. Not moving around much. Sitting facing a corner or the wall. Generally uninterested in life.

Guinea pigs always need a friend because humans cant speak Guinea pig language or act like them, eat hay, drink water out of their bottle, crawl around.

Wishing you and your piggy the best!
My guinea pig just died of depression from a broken heart after losing her best friend (the other guinea pig she loved with) and also because I (her owner) was away for 2 months so someone else was looking after her. I feel terrible because I should have been there for my guinea pig when she was depressed and needed me most but she got no love and only food and water but no cuddles. Please watch out for guinea pig depression because it has been proven likely that guinea pigs feel grief worse than humans

My guinea pig just died of depression from a broken heart after losing her best friend (the other guinea pig she loved with) and also because I (her owner) was away for 2 months so someone else was looking after her. I feel terrible because I should have been there for my guinea pig when she was depressed and needed me most but she got no love and only food and water but no cuddles. Please watch out for guinea pig depression because it has been proven likely that guinea pigs feel grief worse than humans
I'm so sorry you suffering.
Sometimes we have to be away and seems you think piggie suffered.
Really sorry

Back