• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Dehydrated fruit and veggies

4pigsdeep

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Was wondering if it is ok to dehydrate fruits and veggies for my piggies? I know fruit should be given sparingly,but what about veggies?

Not sure to be honest. I’d probably say no...Why not give it to them fresh?

Not sure to be honest. I’d probably say no...Why not give it to them fresh?
I do give it to them fresh, but a lot gets wasted so I thought if I dehydrated some,I wouldn't have so much waste

I probably wouldn’t. Buy enough staples for one week then buy more as needed.

Dehydrating them concentrates the sugars making them even less healthy. I would avoid doing it to be honest

I was wondering this my self for the same reasons. I've been looking it up everywhere and haven't found any real answers. its true dehydrating concentrate sugars but its not ADDING sugar its simply removing water. something they have an unlimited source of. dehydrated food can be re hydrated. it just tastes like crap. but giving the fact guinea pigs literally eat their own feces...... also sugar is water soluble, i know for me i plan to blend up my veggies and actually draining the juice out of it mixing it with blended hay, and pellets i turned to mush with the water i drained from the veggies. i then mash it all together and press into a small bottle cap mold and bake them dry. in my case i'll actually removed a lot out of the veggies. sugars ,vitamins and minerals with the water i drained out. why i soak the pellets in some of it to try and get a little bit of it back. they are treats so i dont mind. feed them one a day. i think like that a good combination and small enough serving size is ok. for instance if you had say 1 whole carrot in the mix. but made 20 treats. that 1 carrot is basically cut into 20 slices of which they get 1 along with x amount of hay, pellets and other veggies like celery and cucumber blended up into it..

The main reason for feeding veggies is the vit C which is reduced by drying or heating. The second reason is to supply moisture- many piggies do not drink enough water, they rely on getting it from their diet which would happen in the wild- they would eat wet grass, but we mostly feed dry hay, so the fresh wet veggies make up the difference.
A little dry forage is fine, hay is dried, but the reason for the veggies is the moisture and vit C that isnt present in high enough amounts in dried food...

The main reason for feeding veggies is the vit C which is reduced by drying or heating. The second reason is to supply moisture- many piggies do not drink enough water, they rely on getting it from their diet which would happen in the wild- they would eat wet grass, but we mostly feed dry hay, so the fresh wet veggies make up the difference.
A little dry forage is fine, hay is dried, but the reason for the veggies is the moisture and vit C that isnt present in high enough amounts in dried food...
i agree but I'm not saying replace veggies with dehydrated ones... just recycle them into treats instead of throwing them out. its essentially what pellets do. grind up stuff normally in their diet and squeeze the water out of them through compression and baking. it also allows you to have 100% control over what goes into your piggies treats.

I personally wouldn't, simply because you are introducing something unnatural into their diet and they may eat more of it than is good for them because the flavours are concentrated, but without the benefit of the natural water in the fruit and veg. It could cause obesity or dehydration.
For example the ingredients in a chocolate biscuit aren't bad for humans, but the fact they are tasty and easy to eat a lot of means they can be linked to issues like obesity - the same can be said of most processed foods.
As most shops sell fruit and veg individually I would focus on buying just what you need, and shop sparingly to reduce waste.
Our piggies mostly get fruit and veg that we eat, and they get parts of it while we finish the rest.

Back