• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental issues - difficult decision

Jen87

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Oct 12, 2020
Messages
12
Reaction score
11
Points
155
Location
North Wales
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice or shared experiences regarding my 5-year-old female guinea pig, Izzie.

Background & Current Symptoms:
* Age & Weight: 5 years, 2 months old. Weight is stable at 1036g, appetite and appears happy. No obvious signs of pain whilst on medication (0.32 arthrocam)
* Eye Condition: Clear, progressive protrusion of her left eye over the past few weeks. The eye itself looks healthy, cornea is moist, clear, no swelling/discharge, and dye tests for corneal ulcers have been negative.
* Suspected Cause: Vet suspects an upward-growing molar root or retrobulbar issue pushing the orbit forward.

The Dilemma is we have an appointment booked for October 6th for standard skull X-rays under light sedation. However, our vet mentioned that:
* X-rays might not give a 100% definitive answer.
* The "gold standard" diagnostic is a CT scan, but referral to an exotic specialist for a CT scan will likely exceed £1,000, which is simply not financially viable for us (even with our insurance covering 50% of dental).
* If it requires a complex surgical molar extraction, that would also require a specialist procedure beyond our budget.

We want to keep Izzie comfortable and avoid putting her through endless, stressful procedures. If the X-ray shows a simple, standard molar issue that our regular vet can treat with routine burring within budget, we will move forward with that. However, if it reveals a complex retrobulbar mass or requires specialist surgery beyond our means, we are prepared to make the compassionate decision for peaceful euthanasia before her quality of life drops.

I just feel so guilty, that we may have hit a wall and can't pursue it any further. She's senior, but not old as such. Her companion is 7, which adds more guilt as we don't intend on continuing the cycle :-(
 
I’m so sorry you are in this predicament.

How far away are you from Northampton? There is an amazing piggy vet there that is a lot cheaper than exotics. They actually specialise in dental piggies too as there is a piggy sanctuary near them that helps dental piggies.

@furryfriends (TEAS) is the piggy sanctuary. The Excellent Adventure Sanctuary.

The Cat and Rabbit vets in Northampton is the vets.

I have driven 2 hours with a poorly piggy to see them and they were amazing.

I Hope your piggy is soon feeling much better 🤞🏻
 
I’m so sorry you are in this predicament.

How far away are you from Northampton? There is an amazing piggy vet there that is a lot cheaper than exotics. They actually specialise in dental piggies too as there is a piggy sanctuary near them that helps dental piggies.

@furryfriends (TEAS) is the piggy sanctuary. The Excellent Adventure Sanctuary.

The Cat and Rabbit vets in Northampton is the vets.

I have driven 2 hours with a poorly piggy to see them and they were amazing.

I Hope your piggy is soon feeling much better 🤞🏻
Thank you, we're 3 hours away. Unfortunately we wouldn't be able to do repeat trips :-(

If an alternative to euthanasia was to surrender her for her to get the treatment, I would obviously consider it. It would mean surrendering both though :-(
 
I’m so sorry. You are in a difficult position.

Maybe you could get in touch with TEAS and ask their advice. I know sometimes they will board a piggy while they are having treatment at the Cat and Rabbit vets.
 
Back
Top