• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental issues

Thank you so much everyone, that reassures me a lot! It's been a very long week 😔 only this weekend we've noticed a little drop in weight. Tomorrow cannot come quick enough! I just want to see her eating hay again 🥺

Keeping my fingers crossed and wishing you all the best.
 
I come with an update! On our way back from seeing Simon, so what our previous vet described as an ulcer he said was a laceration where her top teeth were actually cutting down into on one side, rather than the bottom molars and they were hidden by her cheeks. He's filed them down without anaesthetic and brought her back into the room with some grass hanging out her mouth and gave her cuddles. He really is amazing and she ate a nugget straight away but uncomfortably. He's prescribed dog metacam twice a day and gabapentin twice a day in a very low dose to get her eating again while the laceration heals. He's seeing her in two weeks time to do another file to keep them trimmed so they don't cut into her again while she's healing and not eating as much then hopefully if that heals and her teeth are nice and trimmed she should go back to eating properly and we can go a month and then 3 months or so until she needs another review. He was pleased that she's active and happy in herself but she was 880g in Jan and she's 620 now 🥺 so I just hope to see her eating hay again and gaining weight. Thank you so much to everyone who recommended him, I think you've saved her with that recommendation 🥹 and thank you telling me all of your experiences with Simon, I wish we'd taken her here in January!
 
Shes sounding very hooty, has anyone experienced this after teeth filing without anaesthetic or from gabapentin? I read it could be from stress or dust. Not sure about gabapentin but it's her first time having it, she's only on 0.1ml x2 daily
 
I’m so pleased Cat and Rabbit have been able to help.

With regards the hooting I was going to say it could be stress.

Hopefully it will stop once she has calmed down. If you are worried give them a call to ask their advice.
 
Her breathing seems quite laboured now and still hooting/crackly noise. I phoned earlier and they just said it could be stress and to keep an eye but I'm quite worried. She's wobbly too
 
I’ve never used Gabapentin. Could that be making her wobbly? Could she be dehydrated.

Did you say to Cat and Rabbit she’s wobbly too?
 
Yes it's possible the wobbling is from the gabapentin. They've said i can give a smaller dose of that but keep the metacam the same. I think today must have been very stressful for her also. The Vet has said when they do dental work they spray the mouth with water and it can get to the back of the throat and they've said i could try putting her in a steamy room twice a day for 15 minutes. They also said guinea pigs with dental disease suffer with their airways more ☹️ And if worse to bring her in to nebulise. I hope she's going to be ok, she's not eating at all now, not even banana which shes never refused 😔 has anyone else found their pigs were quite bad after having their teeth done then perked up?
 
Herman’s always been ok after a dental appointment.

I am sorry to hear your girls struggling. I don’t have any advice, sorry.
Sending lots of healing vibes to you both. I hope she feels like eating soon.

C&R are open until 7pm if you need to phone them again.
 
I’ve had a piggy have a dental but it was under
anaesthetic. He was very poorly afterwards and didn’t eat for two weeks. His tongue was trapped by his teeth. I don’t think he had breathing problems or was wobbly afterwards though
 
She has very laboured breathing, didn't want to even swallow her critical care just. I am so worried. I dont understand how she has gone downhill so much and laboured breathing from having a dental. Poor girl I've never seen her like this. Her head is going up and down from the laboured fast breathing.
 
Shes died 😢 she was so happy in herself this morning but by the time we got her home she had a crackling noise and laboured breathing. I believe the procedure carried out without anaesthetic at her old age and low weight was just too much for her and caused respiratory/cardiovascular collapse. Also she was still not eating so we were told to continue syringe feeding but with respiratory distress this likely caused aspiration 😢 heartbroken. We tried 💔 thank you for those who tried to help. It just wasn't meant to be. Shes no longer suffering anymore 😔💔
 
I am so very sorry that this has happened. You did absolutely everything you could to help her. Sadly in her weakened condition it must have just been too much for her fragile body.
I am truly sorry for your loss. Sending big hugs.
 
Back
Top