• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental Dental - Missing Molars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Critter

Reaction score
I apologise in advance, as this is on behalf of a friend not of this forum, who lives in Hampshire.

She took her guinea pig to the vet as she was off her food and was diagnosed with dental issues. Basically all of the molars on the left bottom side of the jaw were missing and the ones on the top had overgrown all over the place. On filing the overgrown ones they split and disintegrated! She had one molar on the right hand side, and again it meant the others overgrew, and the same thing happened when the vet filed them (and it) - Split and fell out.
This guinea pig now has no molars.

She is on Metacam and is being syringe fed.

Does anyone have any suggestions please on her care?

Kind regards x

I would advise your friend does their best to get their pig to see Simon or Kim Maddock at Cat and Rabbit to get some clarification of the exact situation. It really is the best option for the pig, as they actually knows what they are talking about, regarding dental issues. We have never heard of a pig losing all of its molars - they might lose one if it has become loose, but certainly not all of them. There is the potential that roots still remain, so teeth could regrow, but if this were the case, it would be likely that she would need some form of dental management.

Cat and Rabbit: 01604 478888.

I've just had a chat with Simon about this and he said the only reason he could see for losing so many teeth would be a huge vitamin C deficiency. He said he's never known of a piggy to be missing any more than one or two.

Would anything cause this other than care? This lady gives plenty of veggies and her piggies are all very well cared for, so could a medical condition cause poor absorbency of vit C?
Thank you very much indeed for mentioning this case to Simon xx

OK - now I feel like a silly-billy...... the pet in question is a bunny! She didn't mention this and I assumed she was one of her Guineas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back