• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental Pig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
One of my pigs seems really thin and skinny, so I weighed him, he came in at 719g. I can feel his poor little ribs and all. SO I didn't think that seemed right, I don't know his exact age. So I had a look at his teeth, his bottom ones seem VERY long, his teeth seem to overlap too. He never closes his mouth, i'm not sure he can. It looks painful, I don't know if this is normal... help anyone? x

Take him to a guinea savvy vet asap. Weigh your pigs weekly and you can tell if there's a problem with them. This is a very low weight for a full grown guinea pig and it does sound like his teeth are causing him problems. They grow very quickly so they will need urgent attention.

Which pig is it Lexy? could you take them to Vedra to look at their teeth? Is a similar weight to Nigel but he has other heath issues we are dealing with.

I've called him Hoggle but I think he was previously called Jupiter. I am going to take him Monday. xx

if he's not fully grown it might not be that small, if he's from a rescue look on their site as they often have ages on, Roy was 6 months when I got him and 740g.

If you can see the front teeth overlapping, that does sound like a dental issue. I would get him checked out. Overgrown teeth can get ugly fast. Hope the poor little guy does okay!

Syringe feeding him seems to be the best option untill I can get him to Vedra tomorrow. I hate sundays, they annoy me.

x

Weigh him again today Lexy so you can see if he's losing weight rapidly

This is the strangest thing.

Just weighed him again.

He comes in at : 999kg's.

He's gained, loads. But I have NOT seen him eat.....so what the hell.... He was in the 700's... there's no way he could put that much weight on? xx

Hi Lexy,

When Fred has his teeth issues. He was:

1041 grams originally.
After 7 days 1000 grams
Following day 990 grams,
Next day 987 grams.

Do remember to only weigh once a day and it must be at the same time. For example I weigh in the morning before Veg, Weight can flucturate thoughout the day (depending on if the pig has just eaten or has a full bladder).

The above is a example weightloss due to teeth issues. After he had his dental he 977 grams, and within a week he was almost back to his original weight 1032 grams.

I found feeding Fred separate helped as he took so long to eat, he also got Critical Care in a bowl and all the nuggets he could eat.

Do keep us posted on how he gets on tomorrow.

Ditto Furryfriends, you must have weighed him wrong as over 200+ is a huge gain and perhaps verging on impossible.

Although I do find it weird you haven't saw him eat.

Last edited:
Quite obviously you've weighed him wrong on one of the occasions. There is no way he would've gained that much!
rolleyes LOL , yes, I think you may be right there!

Hi Lexy,

When Fred has his teeth issues. He was:

1041 grams originally.
After 7 days 1000 grams
Following day 990 grams,
Next day 987 grams.

Do remember to only weigh once a day and it must be at the same time. For example I weigh in the morning before Veg, Weight can flucturate thoughout the day (depending on if the pig has just eaten or has a full bladder).

The above is a example weightloss due to teeth issues. After he had his dental he 977 grams, and within a week he was almost back to his original weight 1032 grams.

I found feeding Fred separate helped as he took so long to eat, he also got Critical Care in a bowl and all the nuggets he could eat.

Do keep us posted on how he gets on tomorrow.

Ditto Furryfriends, you must have weighed him wrong as over 200+ is a huge gain and perhaps verging on impossible.

Although I do find it weird you haven't saw him eat.

I'm currently weighing all pigs to see if it's a problem with my scales. Will keep you all updated xx

Heya,

Me again =p

hoggle, had his teeth done and i've been syringe feeding him but he's lost weight still. He's now 515g's. I am so worried but I don't know what else I could be doing!

Lexy he needs CC and for you to cut up Hoggle's food into small pieces or grated, he needs quite a few feeds a day and night too! Hope you're up for it, it could take up to a week till he's got used to his toofies. Was there any ulcers or anything on his tongue or cheeks?
Needs extra water too incase he's not drinking from bottle, some piggies rely totally on their veg for water (having had piggies who've done this)

He's drinking out of a water bowl hapily.

I have been syringe feeding him mashed up pellets, but shall venture out to pets at home in a bit to get some CC :) (I know p@H suck but they're all I have, I'm sorry guys) xx

Last edited by a moderator:
I edited your post to remove a word. Anyway back to the important stuff. How much are you syringe feeding? Can he eat anything for himself? You won't be able to buy CC from Pets @ Home by the way. You need to get it from a vet or somewhere like Vet UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back