Depressed boar

Piggymomma29

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently posted in the health and well-being section about my lovely boar Mickey who recently underwent a bladder stone removal. Thankfully he made it and seems to be on the mend, but he does seem to be depressed.

He's happy and chirpy when he's out with me, but when I put him in his cage he keeps sitting in the corner with his head down and against the side of the cage. This is not normal behaviour for him. He was doing this before his operation, but I had assumed this was because he was miserable due to the pain and discomfort.

I have lots of enrichment toys in his cage; tunnels, balls, hanging toys and treats ect which he usually interacts with. But he's completely stopped playing with them.

He is currently on pain meds, antibiotics and syringe feeds (although his appetite has picked up and he is eating his veggies by himself) and it's only been three days since his surgery so I know it's early days. But I'm worried because he is pooping and weeing in that particular corner and laying in it which I'm concerned might cause an infection.

He does live alone and has for most of his life. This has never seemed to bother him. I do have another boar who lives in a cage across from him (they can hear each other) but they had to be separated from a young age due to aggression.

Please does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can cheer Mickey up?

TY in advance 🙏

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
First and foremost I would move your other piggy much closer to him. Separated piggies need to be kept side by side so they can communicate through the bars. A lot of communication is via body language so being across the room means they can’t fully communicate.
The other part is possibly his recovery. It will take time. How often is he having pain meds? Do remember that while it is great he is starting to gain some appetite, eating veggies isn’t enough so keep up with the syringe feeds until he starts eating hay, and daily weighing so you know you are syringing enough.
What bedding is he on? All you can really do is ensure you keep that area clean and dry.

Last edited:

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Just to say please hang in there.
When Ruby had surgery for bladder sludge it took her over a week to really pick up again.
I just kept on with offering food, keeping up with meds and keeping the cage clean and gave her every chance to start to feel better.

It sounds like he is doing ok given that it has only been 3 days, but I do agree that he might benefit from interaction through the bars with a companion.

Piggymomma29

New Born Pup
Reaction score
First and foremost I would move your other piggy much closer to him. Separated piggies need to be kept side by side so they can communicate through the bars. A lot of communication is via body language so being across the room means they can’t fully communicate.
The other part is possibly his recovery. It will take time. How often is he having pain meds? Do remember that while it is great he is starting to gain some appetite, eating veggies isn’t enough so keep up with the syringe feeds until he starts eating hay, and daily weighing so you know you are syringing enough.
What bedding is he on? All you can really do is ensure you keep that area clean and dry.
Thanks for your suggestions. He is on pain meds twice daily and has woodshaving bedding.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions. He is on pain meds twice daily and has woodshaving bedding.
I’d perhaps pop him on fleece or vetbed while he is recovering. It’ll be more absorbent, keep him drier and easier on any incisions/wounds. If you use small pieces then you can just remove the piece he sits on most of the time to ensure it is always dry

Jamjarpigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’d perhaps pop him on fleece or vetbed while he is recovering. It’ll be more absorbent, keep him drier and easier on any incisions/wounds. If you use small pieces then you can just remove the piece he sits on most of the time to ensure it is always dry
I'd second vetbed, if you need a good seller who will be helpful contact Neville's Nest on facebook and they'll be more than happy to advise you and sell you a few squares cut to whichever size you want. Don't forget you'll need something absorbant underneath- but its great stuff. My girls favourite hidey sits on it and it never feels wet. Hope he feels better soon

Piggymomma29

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you, he does have a fleece bed which I've recently removed because although he loves it, he would sit on it for long periods of time and I had the same problem with wee and poop and it became very dirty very quickly.

I'll look into the vetbed.