• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Depressed pig and dental issues.

alexr

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,
It’s a very long time since I posted on here but Wiebke has lured me back 😁
I have a slightly complicated boar set-up. Hamish my OAP piggy lives with Herbert but spends time with Rupert & Algernon (my young boars who fell out) each day. This works well as they all love Hamish. He’s like a pig sitter! Sadly, no other combinations work.

A few days ago both Hamish and Rupert knocked top teeth out when they jumped from a small garden table onto the lawn whilst I was taking a photo (yes I know, I feel terrible!) Hamish is missing both top teeth and Rupert has one missing top tooth and a broken one. Both are starting to adapt following hand feeding and critical care formula. Hamish has Metacam anyway for his arthritis.

Now I am having a problem with Algernon! This week I am looking after two baby boars for a friend and Algernon has become obsessed/depressed. He sits on top of his wooden hidey watching them and won’t eat his dinner.

I have now moved them out of his eyesight but the behaviour is continuing. I don’t know if this is relevant but he sits there with his bum perched over the edge of the box.

I’m really worried by his sudden depression. He’s eaten some carrot and hay but leaves everything else (not like him).

I’ve had him out to freerange with Hamish and this has instantly perked him up and he’s happily competitive eating with Hamish.

Do you think it’s the presence of the babies that’s made him act like this? I suppose I could try moving Hamish & Herbert’s cage so he can see them.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Alex

hello Alex, I would get him checked over at the vet for any issues first and foremost.

You say Algernon lives on his own, yes?
Ruppert lives on his own?
Hamish and Herbert live together

and you are now looking after two babies

I wouldn't expect piggies to be able to possess an emotion like jealousy so cant see the babies as upsetting him.

When he has time with Hamish though he is eating?

hello Alex, I would get him checked over at the vet for any issues first and foremost.

You say Algernon lives on his own, yes?
Ruppert lives on his own?
Hamish and Herbert live together

and you are now looking after two babies

I wouldn't expect piggies to be able to possess an emotion like jealousy so cant see the babies as upsetting him.

When he has time with Hamish though he is eating?

Hi, thank you for replying. Yes, Hamish and Herbert are a pair but Rupert and Algernon live individually due to fighting. Personally, I think they can exhibit jealousy as Herbert has been known to break down a C&C barrier and Algy has jumped over one in the past when spotting Hamish with one of the others.

Hamish and Rupert were both checked by my vet after their fall and I keep her updated with dental progress as they may need their teeth burring if the bottom teeth overgrow to compensate.

If this continues with Algy, I may have to get him checked out but I haven’t observed anything apparent.

When out with Hamish, Algy has eaten a bit. I suppose seeing Hamish tucking in makes him want some! However, when they have their dinner as normal in their cages, he’s leaving it all (apart from a bit of carrot) and sits on his box. This is very unlike him indeed!

Hello,
It’s a very long time since I posted on here but Wiebke has lured me back 😁
I have a slightly complicated boar set-up. Hamish my OAP piggy lives with Herbert but spends time with Rupert & Algernon (my young boars who fell out) each day. This works well as they all love Hamish. He’s like a pig sitter! Sadly, no other combinations work.

A few days ago both Hamish and Rupert knocked top teeth out when they jumped from a small garden table onto the lawn whilst I was taking a photo (yes I know, I feel terrible!) Hamish is missing both top teeth and Rupert has one missing top tooth and a broken one. Both are starting to adapt following hand feeding and critical care formula. Hamish has Metacam anyway for his arthritis.

Now I am having a problem with Algernon! This week I am looking after two baby boars for a friend and Algernon has become obsessed/depressed. He sits on top of his wooden hidey watching them and won’t eat his dinner.

I have now moved them out of his eyesight but the behaviour is continuing. I don’t know if this is relevant but he sits there with his bum perched over the edge of the box.

I’m really worried by his sudden depression. He’s eaten some carrot and hay but leaves everything else (not like him).

I’ve had him out to freerange with Hamish and this has instantly perked him up and he’s happily competitive eating with Hamish.

Do you think it’s the presence of the babies that’s made him act like this? I suppose I could try moving Hamish & Herbert’s cage so he can see them.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Alex

Hi! Please have a vet check to always exclude a medical angle first.

Algernon sounds like he is desperate for company and is depressed. If you can, please move him right next to the other boys' cage so he has interaction through the bars 24/7.
Could you try and rescue date him for a forever boarfriend of his own he can choose for himself? It can make all the difference to his life expectancy and happiness.

There is a new rescue, Neville's Nest in Oadby, which offers boar dating under expert supervision at the rescue. You might like to have a chat with them.
Recommended Guinea Pig Rescues

He is right next to Rupert and that’s how they’ve been since their fallout. Hamish and Herbert are above him. They were placed this way to give Hamish some peace as Rupert and Herbert would rumblestrut at each other non-stop. I may have to try placing their cages so they can all see each other again.

Hamish is having a really bad day today and just wants to rest and sleep or cuddle with me. He has eaten without help though and has seemed to enjoy the presence of the others even though he’s just resting whilst out in the kitchen.

I’m waiting to hear back from my vet about upping his Metacam. He’s been declining for a while and I believe he’s getting very old and is winding down. Perhaps my other pigs are picking up on this and are wanting to spend more time with him.

It really breaks my heart that so many of my piggies are going through bad times. It’s also pretty exhausting.

I don’t know what we’ll do when Hamish goes. I had considered neutering Herbert, Rupert and Algernon ready for wife pigs further down the line. Both Rupert and Algy have historically caused some nasty injuries - not just to each other but also Herbie. I think finding new boar friends for each of them would be very tricky!

He is right next to Rupert and that’s how they’ve been since their fallout. Hamish and Herbert are above him. They were placed this way to give Hamish some peace as Rupert and Herbert would rumblestrut at each other non-stop. I may have to try placing their cages so they can all see each other again.

Hamish is having a really bad day today and just wants to rest and sleep or cuddle with me. He has eaten without help though and has seemed to enjoy the presence of the others even though he’s just resting whilst out in the kitchen.

I’m waiting to hear back from my vet about upping his Metacam. He’s been declining for a while and I believe he’s getting very old and is winding down. Perhaps my other pigs are picking up on this and are wanting to spend more time with him.

It really breaks my heart that so many of my piggies are going through bad times. It’s also pretty exhausting.

I don’t know what we’ll do when Hamish goes. I had considered neutering Herbert, Rupert and Algernon ready for wife pigs further down the line. Both Rupert and Algy have historically caused some nasty injuries - not just to each other but also Herbie. I think finding new boar friends for each of them would be very tricky!

All the best for Hamish!

If you want to go down the neutering route, I would strongly recommend using the Cat&Rabbit Care Clinic in Northampton. They have as close to a 100% success rate as any surgeon can dream to get.
All my boys are neutered, whether they live in bonded pairs or with sows; until recently, this region was not a good area for boar dating bereaved piggies - not that I would risk keeping full boars in a room with sows in case of accidental meetings.
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths And Facts

Back