CaviaEkko
Junior Guinea Pig
Hi everyone, I’m really scared and desperate for some advice about my guinea pig Jace. Jace is already sick and has kidney failure, so I’m extremely worried about him. I just noticed today, when I was giving him his medicine, that his teeth look EXTREMELY long, and it looks like they’re growing into or pressing against the upper part of his mouth. I have no idea how long they’ve been like this because I only noticed it now. His mouth also smells bad, and now I’m scared he might have an injury or infection in there. I’m terrified he could be in pain without me realising it.
I’m struggling because it’s the weekend, and I the vets around me aren’t open. I’m also worried because I have a doctor’s appointment on Monday, and I don’t know if I’ll be able to get him to a vet that day. I’m really scared about what will happen if he has to wait.
I’m also extremely worried about how they would even fix his teeth. Would they need to trim them, or would he need a procedure under anaesthesia? Because Jace already has kidney failure, I’m terrified that anaesthesia, the stress of going to the vet, or the treatment itself could be too much for his little body. I’m so scared of losing him, and I don’t know what to do.
Has anyone been through something similar with a guinea pig who already had serious health problems? How do vets normally treat teeth that have become this overgrown? What does the whole process look like, and how do they make it as safe as possible for a very sick guinea pig? Is there anything I should do or avoid doing while I’m trying to get him seen?
I’m struggling because it’s the weekend, and I the vets around me aren’t open. I’m also worried because I have a doctor’s appointment on Monday, and I don’t know if I’ll be able to get him to a vet that day. I’m really scared about what will happen if he has to wait.
I’m also extremely worried about how they would even fix his teeth. Would they need to trim them, or would he need a procedure under anaesthesia? Because Jace already has kidney failure, I’m terrified that anaesthesia, the stress of going to the vet, or the treatment itself could be too much for his little body. I’m so scared of losing him, and I don’t know what to do.
Has anyone been through something similar with a guinea pig who already had serious health problems? How do vets normally treat teeth that have become this overgrown? What does the whole process look like, and how do they make it as safe as possible for a very sick guinea pig? Is there anything I should do or avoid doing while I’m trying to get him seen?