• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

DESPERATELY NEED HELP...C&C Cages....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Today i went out to go see Elliot & Grandad for their veggies and laptime.

I put them both on my lap and noticed on Grandad a few scabs and lots of chunks of hair missing from his fur, he used to have really long fur on his back but thats all gone now. He seems a bit on the skinny side too and he hasnt been a bubbly and excited as usual and always wants to hide away in their little househttp://www.petsathome.com/shop/christmas-present-bed-for-small-animals-by-pets-at-home-47168?

I wanted to ask as they have a cage like this (not exactly the same and without the top layer)
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/rabbit-100-guinea-pig-and-dwarf-rabbit-cage-by-ferplast-37559

And basically I'm looking at building a C&C cage for more room as i think they are getting a bit under each others feet but I'm not too sure? So if they had a bigger area to roam around and also more houses, beds, toys they wouldn't keep fighting if this is what is going on?

I would be so happy if you lovely people could help
thank you
Amie
xx

It sounds as if you should have Grandad checked by the vet, if they are outdoors and he has lost weight then it is important to bring them in ASAP.

I have recently built a C&C cage and it gives my herd lots of room. They may be fighting due to space but building a bigger cage may not necessarily encourage them to get on.

He hasn't lost a lot of weight.

and they aren't outside they actually are in my conservatory.

Also do you recommend C&C cages?

Also they usually get on really well, but i think because of the space issue they get on top of each other? i am not sure :S

on Grandad a few scabs and lots of chunks of hair missing from his fur, he used to have really long fur on his back but thats all gone now. He seems a bit on the skinny side too and he hasnt been a bubbly and excited as usual and always wants to hide away in their little house

Based on what you have said I would take him straight to the vet. Even if they are in a conservatory the temps will be very low for them and unless it is heated they would be better in the house. As I said the C&C offers a lot more space and flexibility however it does not guarantee that they will not fight.

its not heated, but both my parents are at work and not sure if i can get there? he seems okay so i am going to monitor how they go, i can't bring them inside as i have no where to put them :S thank you for the advice and i will monitor how it goes, and ill be giving them more food and bedding!

Also can i just ask why you think they need to come in?

Hello Aimee,

I have two boars too, and I own the Ferplast 100, and I used to house my boys in the conservatry :)) lol!

Anyway, the conservatory will get very cold during the night, when I kept my boys in the conservatory I put two thick blankets over the top of the cage in the evening to keep the heat in. Put down lots and lots of hay as our conservatory although damp proof is only a few degrees warmer than it is outside! As it can get very cold in that room I'd suggest giving them plenty of hay to eat and sleep in, as well as topping up their nuggets, and try to give them high energy/fatting foods such as beetroot, sweetcorn and carrots.

Secondly, the cage is a wee small for boars, when my boys were housed in that cage they had free roam of the whole of the conservatory, do you let them out for floor time daily/ could they have access to a run all of the time? If not, could you? It'll help them alot!

I'd also suggest buying two of everything, two bowls, two water bottles...Grandad may be losing weight due to the other pig being boss over the bowl, my boy Harvey is very much like this and I have three bowls in my shed so Artie, the 'under piggie' can eat in peace, without having to face nose off's and teeth chattering by his buddy! The ferplast cage is a bit too small, but i'd suggest having two hideys, and one with two exits so the other piggie cannot be bullied into a corner.

When feeding veggies, scatter them out of the cage so they get a fair share and chance of eating! Instead of one piggie having the lot :)

Sorry for the lots of info, I just know how boys can be like!

Please take Grandad to the vet to make sure he doesn't have any underlining problems, or isn't developing a chest infection etc.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask :)

Hi Aimee,

Sorry that Grandad is seeming a bit under the weather. Are you sure it's Elliot pulling his hair out or perhaps he could have a skin condition? Your vet should be able to give you a diagnosis, is best to take him there just to check it out.

C&C cages are great. I dont have one but i'd love to get one once i'm in my own house (need to move the pigs alot at the moment). I think it gives them so much more space and makes them much happier too.

Best wishes,
Alyson xx

Thank you so much both of you it has helped me a lot, I'm really considering building a c&c cage getting 2 of everything and stocking up with lots of blankets, they have a double quilt wrapped around them and lots of hay and bedding :)

I am going to ask my mum and see if she can take me to get the both checked up but especially grandad, after the christmas holidays i know it is a bit late but i honestly think its elliot, as at the top of his fur he has a chunk ripped out and a few scabs but i will also make sure i will take them!

ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU THANK YOU SO SO SO SO MUCH!

Hello Aimee,

I have two boars too, and I own the Ferplast 100, and I used to house my boys in the conservatry :)) lol!

Anyway, the conservatory will get very cold during the night, when I kept my boys in the conservatory I put two thick blankets over the top of the cage in the evening to keep the heat in. Put down lots and lots of hay as our conservatory although damp proof is only a few degrees warmer than it is outside! As it can get very cold in that room I'd suggest giving them plenty of hay to eat and sleep in, as well as topping up their nuggets, and try to give them high energy/fatting foods such as beetroot, sweetcorn and carrots.

Secondly, the cage is a wee small for boars, when my boys were housed in that cage they had free roam of the whole of the conservatory, do you let them out for floor time daily/ could they have access to a run all of the time? If not, could you? It'll help them alot!

I'd also suggest buying two of everything, two bowls, two water bottles...Grandad may be losing weight due to the other pig being boss over the bowl, my boy Harvey is very much like this and I have three bowls in my shed so Artie, the 'under piggie' can eat in peace, without having to face nose off's and teeth chattering by his buddy! The ferplast cage is a bit too small, but i'd suggest having two hideys, and one with two exits so the other piggie cannot be bullied into a corner.

When feeding veggies, scatter them out of the cage so they get a fair share and chance of eating! Instead of one piggie having the lot :)

Sorry for the lots of info, I just know how boys can be like!

Please take Grandad to the vet to make sure he doesn't have any underlining problems, or isn't developing a chest infection etc.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask :)

I get them out everyday for laptime, but i really want to know about making a quick one for the time being? do you have any ideas? as i can't get out to the shed because of the snow, and i am struggling to get them out for a run everyday.. any ideas i would be thankful :)

I get them out everyday for laptime, but i really want to know about making a quick one for the time being? do you have any ideas? as i can't get out to the shed because of the snow, and i am struggling to get them out for a run everyday.. any ideas i would be thankful :)

Awww glad to hear that you're going to get them two of everything, a c+c etc and going to sort them out with the vets too, i hope everything goes well and grandad gets better soon - keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you, my boy Artie is just like Grandad - i hope they get along better over the next few weeks! Typical boars! :))

Righty, is your conservatory floor tiled or wooden? If it is you could give them free run of the whole of the room, just clean up at the end of the day and give it a quick wipe down/hover. It used to take me about 15mins to pick up poops and give it a wipe down. Make sure there's nothing they can hide under or in, you may find it difficult scooping up poops!

I'd also suggest if you have furniture in the room, tie socks or put socks on legs of tables/chairs so they cant nibble it!

Or do you have an outdoor run? You could put your outdoor run up so they can still run around but without nibbling on furniture!

You could also use the top 'lid' of your run to block of apart of your room so they have space to run around freely, if you look down at my photos below I have a photograph of the boys in my outhouse, I used the lid of the run to keep them enclosed in a secure area for them to play without causing mischief!

Or other suggestions:
Toddler Paddling pools/ball pits (you might find an old one in your loft!) Baby playpens/ pet play pens, using wooden shelves to create a make-shift pen.

Here's some photographs of my boys indoor set ups.

Free Run of the conservatory, I laid down old dog towels so they didn't slip too much:
PlaytimeIndoor.jpg

Old Outdoor Run:
DSCF5671.jpg

Lid of the Old Outdoor Run, boys enclosed:
DSCF5692.jpg

I was wondering if you had an email as i have a few more questions to ask if you dont mind anyway that would be great? you are so detailed in your explanations and it really does help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back