• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Determining your guinea's age

amorrissett

Junior Guinea Pig
Is there any way for me to figure out how old my boys are? I got them as adults from a place that didn't know their age. Any thoughts?

Jaycey

Forum Donator 2017/18
@amorrissett I tend to guess from their nails or body shape. But even then it's just an estimate.

If the have sharp nails then they tend to be young.

And if they are starting to become more triangle shaped rather than round then it's a sign that they're losing muscle mass and getting older.

But there are pigs out there that don't follow the rules so it's all just guess work.

How long did the rescue have them? And did they grow at all in their care?

amorrissett

Junior Guinea Pig
@amorrissett I tend to guess from their nails or body shape. But even then it's just an estimate.

If the have sharp nails then they tend to be young.

And if they are starting to become more triangle shaped rather than round then it's a sign that they're losing muscle mass and getting older.

But there are pigs out there that don't follow the rules so it's all just guess work.

How long did the rescue have them? And did they grow at all in their care?
The rescue had just gotten them that week so there was no time to really see a difference. They could not give me any estimate on the age because the people they acquired them from didn't know anything either. They have not changed at all since I've had them.