• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dewormer advice

Vishakha Singh

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello guys...I need an advice regarding how y'all deworm your guinea pigs.. I have been prescribed Pyrantel pamoate and febantel suspension by my vet. Since there is a dearth of exotic per vets in my city, I wish to confirm whether its safe or not. He has asked me to use 1 ml every 3-4 months. My piggie weighs 2.42 lbs. I already used it once but I am afraid to use it again.

I have no idea what parasites guinea pigs could be exposed to in your country, but certainly here in the UK they do not commonly get worms or need worming.
Pyrantel combined with febantel is a very unusual choice for small animal medicine, that particular combination is usually sold as a horse wormer! There is no literature or dosing guidelines at all for giving this to guinea pigs, but pyrantel is safe for rabbits at a dose of 5mg/kg of body weight... though if a wormer is needed I am not sure why they would not prescribe the more commonly used panacur, or ivermectin, that are known to be safe for guinea pigs!

No..but my vet said that as he eats grass as a staple diet, I should deworm him every 3-4 months

This is very different to how we do things in the UK. The main diet for all piggies is hay and grass anyway but we generally dont routinely worm guinea pigs as the risk is low.

Back