• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Diabetes in piggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

flintstones

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If you look up Bettes medical thread there are plenty of symptons on it. Unfortunately the first urine sample we did came back negative but today she went downhill rapidly and before we put her to sleep, we tested for diabetes again and she came back positive, we then tested the blood that was also positive.

It was too late by this point we couldn't save her.

Last edited:

redd1800

Reaction score
we had a guinea pig checked for that a couple of years ago, our vet at the time didn't know much about it. We had to bring in a healthy piggy for a comparative blood test - turned out not to be diabetes after all!

Definately pays to do your research - not all vets are piggy savy

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Basic CCT info, not quoted, but info is based on their learnings:

- High glucose readings in the initial urine test is not appropriate to base a diagnosis of diabetes.
- Test diet for 3 weeks if diabetes is suspected. Only hay, rolled oats and a very select few vegetables. CCT states only cabbage, but I made enquiries elsewhere based on the hypothetical theory that a pig who cannot safely eat cabbage is suspected diabetic.

Another urine test is then carried out, if the glucose reading is still high, then it can be considered that diabetes is likely. I believe a blood test is also one step to diagnosis, again after the test diet.

Also indicated by CCT literature, it has been said that diabetes is not treatable in guinea pigs, as the vet diagnoses diabetes and treats with insulin, piggie dies, vet assumes diabetes is not treatable. The actual problem is that the pig never had diabetes in the first place, the diagnosis was incorrect, too hasty. The test diet is vital.

No experience of diabetic piggies myself, but these are the basics I have gathered from studies and enquiries.

Char-x

Reaction score
My guinea pig Tallulah is diabetic. It was thought she was Type 1 diabeties and we tried to do a similar diet test as Laura above mention, but it didnt do much for her. But then when we started the insulin, that also didnt effect her in the slightest - which is very odd because if she was diabetic it should of have helped, but if she wasnt it would have had a very bad effect, if not death. But it simply didnt adjust anything - was very weird. But now we have to control it via a strict diet, and although its not perfect because I dont think she is Type 2, and she can get off the track abit and end up with UTI's etc she has never got to the point of real concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.