• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Diabetes in pigs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deb

Reaction score
I know its come up in the past but I cant remember how it was treated in a pig.

One of my girls is 'suspect' for diabetes :o.... its not confirmed yet but want to do some research on it. Has anyone got any info or experience of it just in case ?

Thanks.

Deb x

There's an excellent personal account of diabetes in piggies on the cavy spirit site health pages. Sorry can't do links !

Diabetes is rare in piggies, but can be treated with Insulin.

The most important thing is to get a proper diagnosis. If you start using Insulin on a pig that doesn't "really" have Diabetes, it will die. Vets often use Glucose levels from a urine test to make their diagnosis, and if the level is high, or off the scale, they may conclude that the piggy has Diabetes. Unfortunatley this isn't always the case. Piggies who are fed dried food / treats that contain Artificial Colours often present with Glucose readings off the scale. If they are then taken off the food containing Artificial Colours for 2-3 weeks, the Glucose reading usually goes back to normal.

The best person to contact for more information about this subject is Vedra at the CCT on 07721 026401.

Chrissie & 11 Gorgeous Guineas

gorgeousguineas said:
Diabetes is rare in piggies, but can be treated with Insulin.

The most important thing is to get a proper diagnosis. If you start using Insulin on a pig that doesn't "really" have Diabetes, it will die. Vets often use Glucose levels from a urine test to make their diagnosis, and if the level is high, or off the scale, they may conclude that the piggy has Diabetes. Unfortunatley this isn't always the case. Piggies who are fed dried food / treats that contain Artificial Colours often present with Glucose readings off the scale. If they are then taken off the food containing Artificial Colours for 2-3 weeks, the Glucose reading usually goes back to normal.

The best person to contact for more information about this subject is Vedra at the CCT on 07721 026401.

Chrissie & 11 Gorgeous Guineas

thanks Chrissie, I am not conviced my vet is right on the diagnosis of my pig. I get the impression hes is fumbling around. He has done some basic tests, urine dip (not positive), and blood test (showed high reading) but my poor pig was totally stressed at his pathetic attempts to get some blood from her ear! >:( .. I had to suggest he try clipping a nail back to get some blood. ! for his test!

So with the stress of it all am not surprised she had a highish reading then.

I have been away on holiday so shes been with my boarder whilst away and has been fine, and has been since getting back.

My pigs are not fed on any of the brands of food which I know can cause false readings, and am very careful with their diet.

I will be contacting Vedra if she takes a turn for the worse, as I will not let my vets use her as a 'guinea pig', no pun intended as know she is going to be the best person to for any further tests to see if she is or isnt diabetic.

Deb x

Hi Deb,
Can I ask what made your vet suspect diabetes? Never knowingly come accross it in guinea pigs, plenty of times in people as I used to be a nurse ::)
I would imagine the symptoms are the same? Weight loss, increased fluid intake, urine output etc?
Thank you
Barbara

cavykind said:
Hi Deb,
Can I ask what made your vet suspect diabetes? Never knowingly come accross it in guinea pigs, plenty of times in people as I used to be a nurse ::)
I would imagine the symptoms are the same? Weight loss, increased fluid intake, urine output etc?
Thank you
Barbara

hi Barbara

I took her to see the vets because she had a urinary infection (squeaking when weeing & evidence of blood), and because of that and that she has a cataract in one eye..... he suspects diabetes!

Shes approx 2 years old, so admittedly shes young to be developing a cataract. But no weight loss, increased drinking or anything else that is 'off' .

Its the first time I have had taken her in with any problem. I thought he was a bit quick to diagnose her with diabetes.

Since having had antibiotics her UTI has cleared and has so far not returned! and she is acting fine, eating and doing all normal piggie things.

So I am just observing her at the moment.

Deb x

Thank you Deb, it does seem a bit premature to diagnose diabetes on the bais of a urine infection and a cataract :o
Hopefully he is indeed wrong, I think you are doing the right thing just seeing how she goes.

I haven't seen a lot of cataracts in guineas, but I did have one boar who had one in his eye and he was only 18 months. I have two oldies now with one in each eye, bless them.
Hope she stays well,
Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back