• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Diarrhea with blood? :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Our poor Max is now unwell:( Last night we noticed he was having the runs, it was very watery and smelly and Max didnt seem happy at all. I managed to syringe him some critical care and also tried syringing some water with a pinch of avipro in but he wouldnt really swallow that. he was having the runs whilst i was syringe feeding him too:( however during the night we lay down sheets of tissue paper on top of his vetbed so we could see how much he was going-my partner checked on him in the night and he'd had a little bit more runs but nothing like he'd been having. We get up this morning and hes still sitting in his house and when we move him there is slightly more solid runs but all around them are blood:( He is going to the vets at 11.45am but i just wondered if anyone has experienced this before to let us know what we could be dealing with? last night we were assuming it was because we had given him watercress the day before which he'd never had, and coriander the day before that which he hadnt had for a while, but now with the blood I'm not so sure:( We know he atleast had a drink on his own last night because you can see a dirty patch on the tissue by the bottle where he obviously sat to drink. Also when i got off the phone to the vets and went back to check on him he was sitting nibbling some hay so he is actually looking a bit brighter this morning if anything thankfully.

I'm just so worried about my boy:(We are being homechecked tomorrow too as he was going to be going to meet some girlfriends hopefully next week as hes been alone since losing Louis nearly 6 weeks to the day:( Would appreciate any advice and lots of healing vibes for my poor boy please.

Oh poor Max I hope hes feeling better soon

He may have some sort of infection if he had blood in his poo? Or maybe from straining

Is the blood def from his bottom? As blood in urine could mean a UTI

bigs hugs to you both xx

I am sorry, I understand the worry.

The consistency, odour and presence of blood would have me on high alert for an infection. Good that it seems to be easing, and he is eating a bit, consider syringe feeding if he's not eating as much and/or as often as normal. It's possible the watercress contributed but I don't believe it would have that severe an effect.

Definitely expect subcutaneous (injected) fluids at the very least, absolutely vital given the diarrhoea was liquid. Possibly an x-ray if the vet has any reason to suspect the blood is urinary related. Probably antibiotics if the vet suspects an infection, although probiotics will be important given an hour or two after the antibiotic.

Good luck, wishing for the best for your Max. xx

Thankyou both very much for the replies. My OH is on his way to the vets with Max so I'm hoping he will get what he needs and be just fine but I'm still very worried.

The blood is definately not urinary, it is coming from his anus:( the funny thing is that last night he definately looked worse then he does now and to be honest if it wasnt for the presence of blood i would probably not be bringing him to the vets and just continuing with syringe feeding, fluids and plenty of hay because his poops are actually much more solid now then they were last night. last night it was just running out of him like water but we have been watching him the last couple of hours and although he is still having the runs it is much firmer. he has also been nibbling on alot of hay, drinking some more and running about his cage. and he was his usual scrappy self when we picked him out the cage to check him over and then again to put him in the carrier so he is looking much brighter this morning. As i said if it wasnt for the blood id be trying not to worry too much and putting it down to the watercress but obviously blood is not a normal thing!

Anyway my OH knows to ask for fluids and anti bs if the vet doesnt mention them but all the vets are usually pretty decent at the practice we use. He will also be getting a bag of burgess supa forage to make sure he keeps eating(never known a piggie or bunny refuse that!) we have avipro here to put in his water or critical care but OH might ask for fibreplex instead.

Can i ask what antibiotics are usually prescribed for an infection like this? Ive been doing a little searching on the forum and on guinealynx and baytril isnt mentioned so I'm hoping we arent just given that-seems the only thing most vets are comfortable giving smaller animals!rolleyes I was also wondering if it is an infection, would it be species specific? We have 3 bunnies, 3 kitties and 3 ratties aswell as Max and I'm panicing that its something that could get passed around:{

I shall update as soon as my OH is back with Max, but please keep fingers crossed.

Oh i just thought, if its an infection or a possible infection should i postpone the homecheck? i would hate to be responsible for anyone elses piggies getting ill and not sure if this is something that others with piggies should stay away from until he has the all clear?

Last edited:
aww poor little Max, really hope he is ok, will keep checking for the update with tightly crossed fingers x

OH is back home and it seems like really good news but I'm a bit sceptical so I'm trying not to get too happy about it. We also wont know if the vet is correct in his diagnosis for another 24 hours so its going to be a long agonising wait!

The vet basically feels that the blood is from the guts working overtime to balance out the bacteria so he felt that giving an antibiotic might also kill good bacteria and make things worse. he said there didnt seem to be blood in his actual stools, just around the stool so apparently this supports his theory. He gave Max a steroid injection as this will work the opposite to anti bs and keep his guts working(he listened to his guts with the stephasope and could hear them working hard lol) and has told us to syringe feed him some probiotic either in water or critical care and that he should be completely normal again in 24 hours time. if this isnt the case we need to bring him back. As i said I'm a bit sceptical but i guess the main thing is that Max is bright, alert and eating and drinking(vet had a feel of his bladder and said he had definately still been drinking) and the vet said these are all very good signs because as we know too well, if i piggie is very poorly they go downhill extremely quickly and dont usually give you much of a chance to make them better, but Max is feeling much better compared to 12 hours ago!

OH told him about finding him a friend and we have been advised to put that off for atleast two weeks from when he is better as a precaution:{ this is such terrible timing, we have waited six weeks hoping a rescue would be able to help and when its all finally starting to happen we are the ones that are having to postpone it! but i would rather follow his advice then risk making rescue piggies unwell. I'm just not sure what to do about the homecheck, shall i let it happen tomorrow as planned? or wait until the two weeks is up for that too?

On a good note, Max is the best looking piggie the vet has ever seen;):))

OMG THATS GREAT NEWS!

personally, i would still go ahead with the homecheck then it doesnt delay you when you are able to rehome.

fingers crossed for the next 24 hours x :))

Sending healing vibes to Max; watery diarrhea ALWAYS needs to be seen by a vet as soon as possible. The most virulent variety can kill very quickly.

Here is more about diarrhea:
http://www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html

I hope that your vet's approach is the right one. Vibes to your boy!

Sending healing vibes to Max; watery diarrhea ALWAYS needs to be seen by a vet as soon as possible. The most virulent variety can kill very quickly.

Here is more about diarrhea:
http://www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html

I hope that your vet's approach is the right one and that you will be able introduce max to his new friend!

Thankyou all and thanks for the link Wiebke, thats the one i was looking at before my OH brought him upto the vets. The vet did actually run through most of what it could be that is mentioned on the guinealynx site but as i said he didnt feel it was any of those things. He is still having some blood and runs, not as bad as it was though and he has been happily munching on his forage too. I will syringe him some critical care with some avipro mixed in now and then i guess its just a waiting game. if things arent back to normal by the morning like the vet said they would be we will bring him back up but at the moment I'm happy to go along with the vets diagnosis just because Max seems quite well in himself despite the diarrhea and blood. i will keep you all updated though, keep your fingers crossed for a good update in the morning please!

Best of luck for your beautiful boy. Fingers and paws crossed over here from a recdntly recovered boy (also extremely handsome!)X x

Thankyou very much, its very helpful having understanding folk to chat to at times like this!

I syringe fed a fair bit of critical care with avipro to Max this evening and he had the runs quite a bit whilst i was doing it. his poops have turned to almost just soft wet looking stools now rather then runs, but there is definately still blood and discharge there. He is still quite a happy chap and made me feel guilty when i gave the bunnies their veg as he came running to the door looking for his bless him. I caved and gave him a chunk of excell nature stick which he wheeked away for while i was getting it out of the packet and snatched it straight out of my hand! I am still very concerned about the blood but I'm so glad that he is acting normal other then this.

We are going to change the tissue on his floor now before bed so we can monitor how much he has gone and how much blood he has passed during the night. i have a feeling i will be getting up and ringing the vets again though :{ I wondered if anyone who has experienced this can tell me what antibiotic they were prescribed? If it comes to that i atleast want to make sure he gets the right one. There is a list on guinealynx i can use as a guide but obviously someone with personal experience of an antibiotic working with this type of problem would be helpful.

I spoke with one of the homecheckers that were due tomorrow and we decided it is better to wait until we know what is going on with Max before anyone with piggies comes near him. Obviously if Max is still unwell tomorrow or gets worse its probably better for him too as he probably wouldnt appreciate the visit at the moment! lol but the rescue we were going to be bringing him too if the homecheck goes well have been extremely kind and reserved a spayed girlie for us for when Max is better:(|) So that is a load off and something to smile about!

Anyway i shall post another update in the morning, lets hope Max has a good night and we wake up in the morning to no blood! I guess its possible as his poops have gone from water to soft stools in the space of 24 hours so heres hoping!

Best of luck for your beautiful boy. Fingers and paws crossed over here from a recdntly recovered boy (also extremely handsome!)X x

I was wondering when you say recently recovered boy, do you mean from the same problem Max is having? if so i would appreciate hearing how you got your boy over it? is he one of the handsome fellas in your avatar? I shall have to post some photos of Max, i never seem to get time to show my fur babies off online anymore, but we have plenty of lovely piccies so i shall make a mental note! I'm hoping there will be a happy thread in a week or two with photos of Max and his new girlfriend though:(|)

Hope Max had comfy night xx

Thankyou! Max is much much better this morning, I'm starting to have more confidence in my vets diagnosis now. He is still passing some blood which is still concerning me but his poops have returned pretty much to normal now and it is nowhere near as much blood as he was passing yesterday. infact we watched him go this morning and the poops he done were basically normal with no blood, but when i checked him he does still have a little. he is still passing discharge too. the vet said around 24 hours to return to normal at 12pm yesterday so I'm giving him until early this afternoon and if I'm not happy with the blood i will be ringing the vets to see if we should be doing anything. but i think its definately a good thing that things are improving:) and Max himself is fine, enjoying all the attention i think:))

Oscar had a bunged up bloaty thing going on last week. He had some gut stimulant and pain relief, so it wasn't really the same thing! But I can empathise in a "we have got gorgeous boy guinea pigs, who are the most handsome in the world" type scenario. And I hope it will be "we have got gorgeous boy guinea pigs, who are the most handsome in the world, and are now better" way very soon! Continued healing vibes heading your way.
Oscar is on the left. He lives with four ladies, who are clearly the most beautiful girls in the world. Must amend my avatar, as they'll think there's favouritism occurring. The Piggle on the right is My Flobble. X x

But I can empathise in a "we have got gorgeous boy guinea pigs, who are the most handsome in the world" type scenario. And I hope it will be "we have got gorgeous boy guinea pigs, who are the most handsome in the world, and are now better" way very soon! Continued healing vibes heading your way.

:)):)) this made me laugh so much, thankyou! lol every piggie is the most gorgeous in the world to their owners of course!:)) But it did make me smile when my OH relayed the consultation to me and added on the end the vets remark about Max-he said something very similiar about one of my hammies a couple of years ago too. bet he says that to all the clients......:)) but you do most certainly have gorgeous piggies yourself and I'm pleased that Oscar is recovering too, how is he now?

Anyway on with an update about Max! I can now report that there has been no blood today and his poops are completely solid:(|) There is still a wet look to them and when you look at his bottom at times you can still see a slight discharge/mucus, but i wouldnt even have noticed this if i wernt looking for it and if we werent still keeping him on white tissue paper! So I'm really pleased that my boy seems pretty much back to normal, i was worried sick until today, Louis must be watching over him making sure hes ok until he gets a girlfriend. I will be contacting the rescue tomorrow with an update too so fingers crossed we can try and get the homecheck rearranged asap and get to the rescue next weekend after all! We have a girlie name picked out already:redso he had better make friends!:))

I do just have one question for anyone that knows as we forgot to ask the vet, but how long should i leave it before giving him veg again? he has his food back now and we didnt need to syringe feed him today. hes eating his forage and hay but he makes us feel incredibly guilty when we are feeding the bunnies at veggie time. Obviously we will keep him off veg for as long as its needed for his guts/bowels to return to normal but i hope its sooner rather then later as hes breaking my heart! hes such a cheeky chapx)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back