• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Difficulty eating after dental work

Sending healing vibes to Ori. At least you know what the problem is now and can try and solve it. Good luck. 🤞🏻

Thinking of you..It's so gruelling when you're dealing with a challenging issue and just want them back to normal. There's so much hard work to put in..People just don't realise but you have to do the work to give them a fighting chance XX

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to give you a quick update.

After days of no change, no deterioration but no improvement.

Last night, out of nowhere, little Ori was able to eat a full stalks of a selection of herbs with hand feeding.

Still can’t get her to eat hay, but last night was the first time she was able to basically cut her own food with her teeth. For the first time in about 3 weeks.

I tried her with some dill this morning. I’ve linked the video below, there seems to be an improvement in her jaw movement.

Watch Ori herbs | Streamable

I don’t think we are out of the woods yet, but I’m so thankful that we are at this point.

Thank you so much!
Sorry just a super quick update between feeding and meds.

Positives:
Pooping - although not normal
Managing up to 10mls of syringe feed 2 hourly
Maintaining weight
Mouth seems more comfortable

Negatives
Still not eating hay - despite different textures, different lengths
Still not herself

Positives outweighing negatives here! So I’m hopeful!

Thank you for all your support everyone! 🥰

It's absolutely gruelling...I'm going through a similar regime with my Felix!

Celebrate every little positive...and remember that Ori has seen an expert so you have absolutely the very best advice and Ori has the very best of care from you! xx

This sounds exactly what I experienced with my little girl Lola last January. If you can get to the Cat and Rabbit clinic in Northampton get her there asap, my little girl Lola would not be here if it wasn't for Kim. They get very booked up so call at 8am explained the situation and ask if they have any emergency appointments. I remember having to start out on a freezing cold morning at 6.30am to get her there from Birmingham but the relief that they knew what was wrong with her from just feeling her jaw and saying she had an abscess was immense. They practiced conscious dentistry so there was no need for another anesthetic, which was a massive relief as I really didn't think Lola would have pulled through. Lola had the same problem she was trying to eat and the lettuce was just falling out of her mouth. She hated all kinds of critical care. I took her to my regular vets and her teeth were overgrown at the front and they said that her teeth at the back were in a really bad way at the back she was booked in to have them done the next day under anaesthetic. I picked her up and they said her teeth at the back were ok, but they had filed them down. Took her home and she still couldn't eat, she really wanted to but she couldn't keep the food in her mouth so I took her back to the vets and they were useless so I got an emergency appointment and it literally saved her life. I know it sounds dramatic but having a poorly pet is such an intense and worrying situation when you don't know how to help them. I'm sorry it's such a long message, I hope it has helped in some way to know your not alone. Please keep me updated ❤️

This sounds exactly what I experienced with my little girl Lola last January. If you can get to the Cat and Rabbit clinic in Northampton get her there asap, my little girl Lola would not be here if it wasn't for Kim. They get very booked up so call at 8am explained the situation and ask if they have any emergency appointments. I remember having to start out on a freezing cold morning at 6.30am to get her there from Birmingham but the relief that they knew what was wrong with her from just feeling her jaw and saying she had an abscess was immense. They practiced conscious dentistry so there was no need for another anesthetic, which was a massive relief as I really didn't think Lola would have pulled through. Lola had the same problem she was trying to eat and the lettuce was just falling out of her mouth. She hated all kinds of critical care. I took her to my regular vets and her teeth were overgrown at the front and they said that her teeth at the back were in a really bad way at the back she was booked in to have them done the next day under anaesthetic. I picked her up and they said her teeth at the back were ok, but they had filed them down. Took her home and she still couldn't eat, she really wanted to but she couldn't keep the food in her mouth so I took her back to the vets and they were useless so I got an emergency appointment and it literally saved her life. I know it sounds dramatic but having a poorly pet is such an intense and worrying situation when you don't know how to help them. I'm sorry it's such a long message, I hope it has helped in some way to know your not alone. Please keep me updated ❤️
Sorry I didn't read your earlier comment, i'm so glad you were able to see Kim, I really hope you're little girl is going to be ok ❤️

It can take a long time for them to eat hay. Grass is as good as hay for wearing the teeth, and they usually love it xx
Thank you so much! This is such a good point! I went out to get her some before based on your recommendation and it’s going down a treat!

Do you think I should be cautious with the amount of grass due to her gut still recovering?
She’s still on the gut motility meds.

Honestly, I can’t thank you enough for your help xo

It's absolutely gruelling...I'm going through a similar regime with my Felix!

Celebrate every little positive...and remember that Ori has seen an expert so you have absolutely the very best advice and Ori has the very best of care from you! xx
Sorry for the delayed reply Trish!
So sorry to hear you’re going through a similar thing with your little one!
I wish him a swift recovery and I’m sending lots of love your way!

Rest when you can!

Yeah you are so right, thank you so much! ❤️ xo

So glad everything is going in the right direction, hay will be the last thing they attempt to eat but grass is a marvellous substitute. Good luck 🤞

Thinking of you..It's so gruelling when you're dealing with a challenging issue and just want them back to normal. There's so much hard work to put in..People just don't realise but you have to do the work to give them a fighting chance XX
Honestly, this is so true! I really hope you’re managing to get some rest! Xo

Back