• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Difficulty eating after dental work

I hope Ori is making good progress and that you have a bit more spare time!
Thanks Trish!
She is slowly getting more herself. She doesn’t seem to get as frustrated now

Guts/poop still not 100%, still on all the gut motility meds and still syringe feeding to top her up. She is eating more, and found more confidence when eating hay.

She has a hard lump on her jawline, that’s come up in the last couple of days. We are due to see Kim at cat and rabbit again on Tuesday.

She has more energy and is very bright!

Thanks for checking in 🥰 xo

Thanks Trish!
She is slowly getting more herself. She doesn’t seem to get as frustrated now

Guts/poop still not 100%, still on all the gut motility meds and still syringe feeding to top her up. She is eating more, and found more confidence when eating hay.

She has a hard lump on her jawline, that’s come up in the last couple of days. We are due to see Kim at cat and rabbit again on Tuesday.

She has more energy and is very bright!

Thanks for checking in 🥰 xo
It's a long slow process but she sounds as if she's on the right track and you have the reassurance of Tuesday's appt with an expert who will be able to assess this lump accurately. The fact that she's wanting to eat more is very encouraging! You're doing so well with her! Please let us know how you get on on Tuesday and hope the travelling goes smoothly xx

Thanks so much for your encouraging words everyone! ❤️

Couple of things have reared their head this morning. She’s had a bit of diarrhoea, which has been intermittent since all this has been going on.
I will increase her top up feeds today and her water intake.

And sadly, her sore back left hock has turned into bumble foot despite my best efforts to avoid this at all costs 😫.
She’s still on antibiotics for her tooth issue. She’s also on fibreplex. I might do a poop soup today if she has another episode.

I’ve been cleansing the area twice daily and changing out bedding twice a day, or more if needed. she is on fleece and vet bed.
I’ve started using the gorgeous guineas F&M ointment last night, verryyy sparingly and will soak her feet in saline solution today.
I found loads of helpful tips from a thread on here.

I will keep an extra close eye on her tootsies today given the diarrhoea.
I will try and get an appointment with my vet before Tuesday, to have a look at her foot.

However, despite all this. She is very bright and has been more and more mobile these last few days.

She’s currently working her way through some hay as I’m writing this. Which just makes me so happy!

Any advice please in case I have missed anything would be very welcomed.
I’m worried that I’m so tired I’m missing out on something which may help her 🙃

Thank you ☺️

You are doing an amazing job the very fact that you ask for help shows what a great guinea parent you are. I'm no expert at but I've read bumblefoot can take a long time to heal but with patience and preseverence which you clearly have you'll slowly get on top of it. Make sure you find time to rest yourself too as if you're not well you can't look after her 💕

Thank you!

The lump is an abscess, so she is going back for surgery on Monday! We are on another course of antibiotics.

I’m trying to build her up before the surgery given her cumulative weight loss over the past few weeks.

She’s eating a normal amount by herself now and has actually put a small amount of weight on in the last couple of days and her poops are back to normal!

I’m hoping she will be okay with the anaesthetic, and that her gut problems don’t rear their head after surgery again either. However, I am positive and just need to see what Monday brings!

Thank you for checking in xo

I thought it might have been an abscess. She will be in very safe hands with Simon, all my piggies have sailed through any ops Simon has performed. You are doing a great job x

I'll second that..I'm sorry that she has to face an op but she will be in the best hands and any post op issues should be minimal and you will be prepared anyway.

i do so hope that Monday will be successful and that she's soon as well as possible xx

So! I’ve just picked this little munchkin up!

We are minus one tooth! Surprisingly, it was her lower right incisor that needed removing.

It is the lower left side she had been having the problems with the abscess, on her jaw and tooth root. On examination at pre-op today. Her left lower Incisor had pus around the root and the tooth itself was also discoloured.

Once they got her in under anaesthetic, on examination it was infact the healthy tooth that was very wobbly. Simon and Kim were as surprised as I was!

Anyway, as her abscess had leaked over the weekend and dramatically reduced in size. They didn’t have to do anything with the abscess surgically, as it is still open. So we’re staying on Azithromycin.

She’s already eating and has pooped a tonne!

We’re just in the car park gearing up for our journey back home.

Thank you to all of your for your care, advice and support. From the bottom of our hearts! ♥️

I will keep you all updated in the next few days!

Attachments

• 5DA875C0-8755-4B8A-AE5B-39C3BEC95CE5.jpeg
    5DA875C0-8755-4B8A-AE5B-39C3BEC95CE5.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 1
Back