• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Difficulty finding a flat that will accept guinea pigs

sakinrolo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am finding myself in a position where my partner and I need to move out from his family's home whilst I do my master's starting in October. Living in the family home isn't an option since I live with someone considered at-risk regarding the virus, and I can't go to uni (nor can my partner work) as a result of his family asking us to stay home at all times.

We have three guinea pigs, and I'm finding it extremely difficult to find a place on rightmove, etc. that doesn't say "sorry no pets." Is there a chance that with some of these "no pets" listings, they would accept guinea pigs as they're in cages? If so, how can I find out?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi, sorry to hear this.

my husband has his own estate agency (one of the good ones I hasten to add!). He often asks landlords to make exceptions especially with Guinea pigs or caged pets who won’t cause any damage. Sometimes you may have to offer a larger deposit and have a professional clean when you move out. I would suggest you just speak to the agent and get them to speak to the landlord about it. my husband generally finds it not an issue if you are honest, say what you can do and offer the above.

good luck!,

:agr:
We are landlords and although when our property comes vacant the advert says preferably no pets, our agent knows that we are open to discussion with potential tenants about what type of pets they have - we wouldn’t allow large dogs, but small dogs, small animals and cats are fine by us - taking a pet deposit and requiring extra cleaning at the end of the tenancy.
You definitely need to talk to the agents as you may find more flexibility is there

:agr: With the above. Good luck and hope you find something. Perhaps if you can get somewhere with a garden you could offer to keep them outside. 🤞🏾 for you.

I agree - it’s always worth asking the agents if indoor piggies in a cage are permissible.

No pets generally applies to cats and dogs. It's always worth enquiring directly with the letting agent who can ask the landlord. I had similar when I split up with my ex and had to move out of our owned property with 3 pigs. The landlord said as long as they stayed caged it was fine. I had a 5x4 grid c&c so that was fine with me too. As a landlord my adverts always said no pets but I did tell the letting agent I would be open to small pets but it would be decided on a case by case basis

Me too.....when I first wanted guinea pigs in my rented house I rang my letting agent to check and she was fine, she told me that no pets really applied to dogs and cats and as long as they weren't weeing all over the carpets there was no problem. So it's definitely worth asking.

Me too.....when I first wanted guinea pigs in my rented house I rang my letting agent to check and she was fine, she told me that no pets really applied to dogs and cats and as long as they weren't weeing all over the carpets there was no problem. So it's definitely worth asking.

It really does depend on the landlord and their experience I think. After uni I lived with someone who wanted a pet rabbit. Landlord was fine about it but asked for an increased deposit just in case of damage. Of course she started training her rabbit well but then just decided to let him free roam in the house (7 bedrooms and 3 floors). He used to pee and poo on the carpet next to the shower in the top bathroom, pee and poop on the sofas (belonged to landlord), ate a chunk of skirting board in the living room and almost half the lino in the kitchen. Pretty sure that landlord won't be accepting even small animals anytime soon thanks to one selfish tenant

Thank you all so much for the advice, I'll definitely speak with the agents and likely offer a larger deposit and cleaning service for when I move out. Will keep the forum posted :)

when we first rented our house we asked the letting agency and they said it was ok only for us to find out a few months ago that the landlord had said no pets but our landlord has just made us sign some extra paperwork and we have to get the place professionally cleaned and fumigated when we move out which seems like overkill to me but it's what it takes to keep them happy.

Back