• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Dirty nails

Chaz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Two of my girls seem to get dried poo all over their nails and I can't get it off without bathing them, which I don't want to do. They don't like it being chipped off and I don't like it on them. Any experiences and advice. My girls are 5 BTW.

No. But I never have and I've never had any trouble before.

Then I would do so. Daily (twice daily) spot cleans are needed to ensure all poops and wet areas of bedding are removed every day

On the odd occasion one of mine has had dried poop on his nails I've soaked the foot in a small dish of warm water, it's soft enough to wipe away in a minute. No need for a bath.

If one of my piggies ends up with some poo between/in the nails, I use a wet paper towel to loosen it, so I can remove it. They don't love it, but fortunately it's not a common need.

Happens to my pigs once in awhile, I usually just get a warm wash cloth & gently rub it off.

Two of my girls seem to get dried poo all over their nails and I can't get it off without bathing them, which I don't want to do. They don't like it being chipped off and I don't like it on them. Any experiences and advice. My girls are 5 BTW.
Has it just started happening? If so I’d be looking to see if their poops are softer than usual.

If they have always have dirty feet then I’d spot clean twice a day to keep their house clean.

Has it just started happening? If so I’d be looking to see if their poops are softer than usual.

If they have always have dirty feet then I’d spot clean twice a day to keep their house clean.
No, they aren't softer at all, I think it's because they sit in the same place all day mostly and they trample in their poops.

No, they aren't softer at all, I think it's because they sit in the same place all day mostly and they trample in their poops.

I’d definitely start spot cleaning twice a day to make sure there aren’t poops left in the cage.

As they get older they don’t tend to run about quite as much. Two of my boys at 5 1/2 years old and air about more than they used to but if I change up their hutch, move things, add fresh hay and forage, it gets them active again

Back