• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Discerning The Dominant Boar

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCLee

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've been reading all I can on the forums, and it's been really helpful so far.

One of the behavioral tips I read was to lead with the dominant boar in a pair: take him out first, pet/feed him first, etc. I just want to make sure that I am right about which is which.

I thought Porkchop was dominant, since his movements seemed to start Bacon quietly teeth chattering. However, the more I observe, the more I realize that it's almost always Bacon who teeth chatters, and today I saw Bacon chase Porkchop and try to mount him.

None of this is truly violent. They're just sorting their hierarchy. It doesn't last long, and it seems like the business of getting settled into a new environment. I just want to make sure that I'm correctly reading who is the dominant, so that I can work with their instinctive behavior and keep everyone as happy and comfortable as possible when interacting with me and with each other.

I'm having that same problem!

Here is some pics of mine.
Pics of the video I uploaded to YouTube to see what the heck.

Moo moo the black white and orange.
He rumbles. But shakes. And humps.
Nibbles the white one humps at any direction and teeth chatters.
Neither wants to submit

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-07-01-17-02.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-07-01-17-02.png
    325.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_2015-07-07-01-17-10.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-07-01-17-10.png
    282.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_2015-07-07-01-20-38.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-07-01-20-38.png
    340.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_2015-07-07-01-20-44.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-07-01-20-44.png
    336.4 KB · Views: 6
If you do not know who is the dominant boar, then it likely doesn't matter. Not all boars are thankfully guarding their privileges jealously, but making sure that you observe the hierarchy in those cases where it happens helps to keep things calm. The boys will usually tell you if you getting it wrong (i.e. the underboy not being comfortable with you giving him undeserved privileges and always more dominance hubbub upon the return of the underboy in the wrong order).

Teeth chattering, mounting and chasing can go in turns although the chasing piggy is more often the dominant one than not.

That helps. Yesterday, Bacon was the only one doing chasing, and he's definitely more relaxed about being picked up first. Porkchop is easier to pick up if I do him second, so I think he was trying to tell me something. Until I see a shift in the dynamic, I'll assume Bacon is the top pig.

That helps. Yesterday, Bacon was the only one doing chasing, and he's definitely more relaxed about being picked up first. Porkchop is easier to pick up if I do him second, so I think he was trying to tell me something. Until I see a shift in the dynamic, I'll assume Bacon is the top pig.

Isn't it kind of funny? The whole top pig ect.
It's a lot different from gerbils for sure lol.
Hope your pigs do okay.

They're fine. It all seems in line with the stickie threads on behavior and normal dominance. I saw that someone linked them in your post. They're very helpful; have you had a chance to read them yet?

I think of it as the equivalent of men trash talking and shoving each other around a little before they bro-hug and buy each other a drink at a bar. Not every guy's going to do it, but for some guys, it's just a normal way to make friends. :-)

Yeah I've read almost all of them.
Also off topic I'm photoshopping. Peoples, pictures for free I have a thread of it in pictures,
As far as the pigs are I'm still thinking to think how to do a 2nd floor. We re not doing c&c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back