• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

DISGUSTED at my vets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gothchick1515

Harry was neutered three weeks ago today and i was in the garden with him and the girlies on saturday when i noticed he was walking oddly after investigating i noticed what looked like a piece of blue cotton but on closer inspection it turned out to be his internal 'disolvable' stiches! i showed my mum who rang the vet we didnt have the one he was with when he had the operation which i guess was good as i had something to say to him! it was a lovely young girl who was really apologetic saying that they where meant to be disolvable but obviously the wrong ones had been used and had now pretruded through the skin! she got a scalpol and cut it off much to harrys disgust (he hid in my hoodie!) she also noticed the other was right on the top of the skin and estimated it would come through this week. i had my last 40 pounds saved up for a driving lesson ready to pay but she came out to the till and told me i didnt have to pay as it was there mistake and they where extremely sorry.

ok that vet was nice but i was told that the vet who operated knew what he was doing when he clearly didnt as harry had his stiched sticking out of him! i told my mum i dont want to go there anymore but shes like they're fantastic with the rabbits and they are but give them anything smaller and they just dont know what they're doing! i was LIVID! i cancelled the driving lesson before hand incase i had to pay but i was and still am just so angry at it all >:( sorry to rant on!

maybe you should go with the nice one in future, hows Harry now? not nice having his bits fiddled with I guess bless him

Hes ok he desperatly wants to see his girlies but maria keeps going for him lol. Have to take him back when the other sticks out!

Definately ask to see the nice vet when you go back, I'm with Michelle on that one.

My mate is particularly disgusted with her vet at the moment. He obviously not used to dealing with guinea pigs and failed to take adequate action when she repeated brought them in sick. They both passed away very recently, one in her arms in the morning and the other as they broke the speed limit trying to get back to the vets :'( My friend insisted on an autopsy being done just to make sure what ever caused it wasn't catching. She'd had had them living seperately from the others just in case it was anything catching. Turns out they both had internal problems, something wrong with their bowels. They were sisters that she had fallen in love with at a pet shop, which was so unlike my mate as she usually got her piggies from rescues.

Needless to say she won't be visiting that vets anymore!

I'm so sorry about that Verity. i think I am very very lucky with my vet!

That IS disgusting, if a doctor would let that happen to a human, he would get sued beyond belief!

I would def. write an official letter of complaint, a castration should be such a routine thing to do, if they mess THAT up, what else will they do wrong?

Abnoba said:
That IS disgusting, if a doctor would let that happen to a human, he would get sued beyond belief!

I would def. write an official letter of complaint, a castration should be such a routine thing to do, if they mess THAT up, what else will they do wrong?

YES I agree, you should right a letter to the vet to complain, this should never had happened !

Diane

I agree too, it shouldnt have happened. A couple of years ago i rescued a small leopard gecko Lizard who i suspected had internal parasites, my usual vet ( WHO IS FANTASTIC ) was a way, so i saw a different vet who i thought was not very gentle with the little chap,giving him an internal probe to check.I asked the vet how the lizard was and he just shrugged his shoulders and said bring him back in a couple of days and see.( I was angry for the lack of interest for a start) t took me 15 minutes in the car to get home and by the time i got home, the little guy had died! I rang the vet up to explain what had happened and he said well its just one of those things! I reported him, didnt hear anything but ive never seen him practice with them again so makes me wonder if it had happened before and may be my response after made the decision for the practice to get rid of him.Glad to be shut of him, animal care should be taken seriously and any mistake can become fatal.

Hope Harrys feeling better :)

Oh poor little Harry insulting enough as it is :(

You hear about these things i just can't understand how it can happen, glad he's ok tho :-*

Yes i agree with everyone go to the nice one only, make sure when you book that they're on, good luck, keep us posted when he gets the other stitches out.

Kisses and cuddles to him :-*

Vets disgust me full stop!

£15 for just a damn consulation fee,i can understand why people cant afford vets and not everyones on benefit for the PDSA
I also agree that if you cant afford the fee's then dont have a pet but for gods sake a lot of people need the company no matter what the animal is

these vets need to stop damn money grabbing and try and help sort the money out on maybe a pay weekly thing,especially when a lot of us have lots of animals

Harrys fine in himself his other stich is on its way out but it has to be out enough for them to get a scalpol in! so i have removed anything he might get his stiches caught on! back the the vets by friday i think!

Sars1359 said:

£15 for just a damn consulation fee,i can understand why people cant afford vets and not everyones on benefit for the PDSA
I also agree that if you cant afford the fee's then dont have a pet but for gods sake a lot of people need the company no matter what the animal is

these vets need to stop damn money grabbing and try and help sort the money out on maybe a pay weekly thing,especially when a lot of us have lots of animals

Not all vets are bad and I'm sorry but if people cannot afford a vet then they shouldn't be owning animals. It's our (legal AND moral) responsibility to get them treated when they are sick. Full stop!

My regular vet is wonderful. Friendly, caring and knowledgeable. The practice do not charge consultation fees for follow-up visits and my regular vet will give any new piggies I have a once-over and mite treatment for free. While I can afford treatment she also ensures that costs for more major work (one of my pigs had surgery this year) are not excessive.

daftscotslass said:
Sars1359 said:

Not all vets are bad and I'm sorry but if people cannot afford a vet then they shouldn't be owning animals. It's our (legal AND moral) responsibility to get them treated when they are sick. Full stop!

My regular vet is wonderful. Friendly, caring and knowledgeable. The practice do not charge consultation fees for follow-up visits and my regular vet will give any new piggies I have a once-over and mite treatment for free. While I can afford treatment she also ensures that costs for more major work (one of my pigs had surgery this year) are not excessive.

Sorry but I have to disagree. I am not well off for money, yet own piggies. and the normal vets, I can afford. Now recently I have been to a clinic where they charged me 19 pound consultation fee, plus medication, and consultation fee again just for a follow up visit! In total I paid 90 pound for that.
and then they wanted me to have an Xray done on my piggy which would have been 70 pound again - and they werent even sure how exactly that would help me!

Some vets DO try to rip you off, and if you get one of these vets because its the only local one, and you cant afford it, then that doesnt mean you shouldnt have a pet - it means that you have to find a different vet or that some vets should just get their priorities right - helping pets instead of ripping the owners off!

The vet I am with now is wonderful, when I had my piggy PTS, it would have been 70 quid callout charge as it was midnight, and then for the medication. In the end she only charged me 60 - simply as a little "cheer you up" because she had seen how shattered we were....

If only the people who can afford overpriced vets should have animals, we would live in a petless society.

Think I might get shouted at here! But I have a vet in the family and so can see things from his point of view also. At the end of the day, sorry - but they are in business. Yes they care about animals deeply but they also have to earn a living. And to be able to afford to buy the practice's latest equipment, best medication, staff costs and premises they have to charge enough to be able to cover it. I agree that if you have rescue animals it's a huge problem, but if you ask, you may be able to come to an arrangement with the practice or contact the RSPCA for help. How can they justify who they give discounts to? A single parent, an OAP, a homeless person, rescue centre - I bet everyone can come up with a reason why they should get discount.

By offering you an x-ray or scan they are giving you the chance to do absolutely everything in their power to try and sort out a problem. Years ago they wouldn't have had that option and might not have been able to do anything, but technology is such that there is loads more they can do. If people can't/won't pay for it, they won't have the equipment.

You definitely need to shop around but by going for the cheapest you may not be going for the best.

And no, I don't get any discounts!

If you asked for a plumber to come out or needed your car servicing, you are paying exactly the same type of costs. You pay for professional advice.

I understand that Jillybean, after all you get what you pay for in most things why should a vet be any different did you all know that you can request a prescription and buy the medicines else where on line for instance dont think they can charge you for the prescriptions either, my sis in law buys her dogs pain relief pills on line, and i looked into it as well, ok they charge for a consultation but mine only charges me once for any one problem not each time i visit them for ongoing problems and they often keep me up dated on my basic mediactions like eye drops etc

Jillybean said:
If you asked for a plumber to come out or needed your car servicing, you are paying exactly the same type of costs. You pay for professional advice.

Yes, but I go to a garage, say "ok if I come back this afternoon, can you please tell me whats wrong with it and how much it is to fix it."

I dont say: "oh, and here are thirty quid just for looking at it, without repairing anything yet." so much for the comparison to a vet ;)

I just think 15 or 20 pound consultation fee - just looking at the pet - is over the top, massively.

It is! My vet would never charge that and looks at any lump free of charge.

our vets charge £15 consulation fee

to me it seems they give treatment etc even when the animal doesnt need it,they did that with our dog a while back :(

Jillybean said:
Think I might get shouted at here! But I have a vet in the family and so can see things from his point of view also. At the end of the day, sorry - but they are in business. Yes they care about animals deeply but they also have to earn a living. And to be able to afford to buy the practice's latest equipment, best medication, staff costs and premises they have to charge enough to be able to cover it. I agree that if you have rescue animals it's a huge problem, but if you ask, you may be able to come to an arrangement with the practice or contact the RSPCA for help. How can they justify who they give discounts to? A single parent, an OAP, a homeless person, rescue centre - I bet everyone can come up with a reason why they should get discount.

By offering you an x-ray or scan they are giving you the chance to do absolutely everything in their power to try and sort out a problem. Years ago they wouldn't have had that option and might not have been able to do anything, but technology is such that there is loads more they can do. If people can't/won't pay for it, they won't have the equipment.

I agree with you, as I work at a vets I can see both sides. I know of a lady who has a rabbit rescue and the RSPCA are now helping her with the rabbit vacs. We have people that run rescues and they do get it at a disscount fee.

Mary
You definitely need to shop around but by going for the cheapest you may not be going for the best.

And no, I don't get any discounts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back