• Saturday 8th August 8pm-10:30pm is the Forum Summer PRIDE virtual event! Everyone is welcome so please come along and join in the party!! More details HERE

Disinfecting Cage After Sick Piggie

CGio

New Born Pup
Reaction score
One of my piggies passed away 2 months ago of unknown causes. He was in his own cage, as my 2 males did not get along. I am ready to adopt another, but I want to be sure that I've disinfected the cage enough. Aside from the normal cleaning, will white vinegar be enough to kill any possible germs/bacteria/virus that may have killed my last boar? Thank you for any advice!

hollyc

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've recently had a sick piggie... The vet that I use advised me to disinfect my cages with Virkon. I found it on Amazon, the vet said it's pet safe and disinfects against virtually everything. You'll need a spray bottle too as it comes in tablet form and you need to make it into a one litre solution which last 5days.
Hope that helps x

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
You need a proper disinfectant and not just white vinegar if there is potential germs that could make a new piggy sick. I use F10 which I get from amazon