• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Disposing Of Guinea Pig Bedding

Nelly&Nola

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've just been cleaning out the piggies and our black bin (where I normally put the guinea pig waste) is particularly full so I was wondering if I could put guinea pig waste into the green waste bin?
I it would just be sawdust, hay and guinea pig poop without any bags or newspaper...would that be okay or does it have to go in the black bin?

I think it depends on your council. We used to be able to put ours in the garden waste but the changed the rules and now almost nothing can go in there.

I think it depends on your council. We used to be able to put ours in the garden waste but the changed the rules and now almost nothing can go in there.
Okay thank you, I'll have to check.

Check with your council - they’re all different.
I take mine to the tip but I’m lucky in that it’s just a few minutes up the road from me.

I just throw mine at my Neighborhood Dumpster but check with your council maybe you can in the Green Waste Bin.

My council says no animal waste in the green bin which I find completely ridiculous when it's just piggie waste which is completely compostable! My compost bin is full so I just pop it in with the general waste now. Sometimes I have to "borrow" my neighbour's bins!

Last edited:
Our tip was recently revamped and the first time I went with a boot load of waste one of the staff said I wasn’t supposed to do that any more.
It should all go in our household waste bin.
They know me there so we had a chat and I did explain that with 3 piggies and fortnightly collections that wouldn’t work.
His response was that if they didn’t know then they couldn’t say anything.
Now they never ask me what’s in my bags - we chat about other things
I still take my waste to the tip.

I put hay in the garden waste but the rest goes in the general rubbish. Wish it could go in garden waste but council said only clean hay!

We have been told vegetarian pet bedding can go in our green bin so the hay, back to nature and news paper go in. But we have to pay for it removing £40 for 9months so it's been going in the black bin if we have space or a trip to the tip at the end of the week

I used to put all of it in the green bin until the council told me they can't accept any pet bedding or waste. (We use Megazorb, newspaper and hay). I sent them links to reputable sources saying they are herbivores and that all the bedding and waste composts down - still no.
So I bought a compost bin and compost it myself, interspersed with lawn clippings and kitchen compost. I now have a ready supply of beautiful garden compost and my veg patch has never looked better!

Have you any allotments near you?
I have a plot myself so all my shavings go into my composters (I have 6!) but I reckon if youve an allotment near by and you ask a few plot holders I’m sure you could exchange some pig waste for veggies?

Back