Disposing of piggy waste

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Now this might seem like a strange one😂

Are there any alternatives to simply throwing away your piggies waste that you’ve tried? I.e any members on here who add to compost or dispose an alternative way?

Basically, I have now changed my boys cage to a C and C along with new bedding (back to fleece etc again now) so hopefully less cleaning out and rubbish made anyway but I figured I’d still ask-

They were on newspaper with care fresh on top to soak the urine and keep their paws dry. The newspaper being the material that filled my bin up quickly! I was cleaning them out every other day. I also own four dogs, rabbit and tortoises which obviously add to the bin along with our own rubbish.

So apart from changing the bedding like I have now with their new cage, just wondering whether there are any other crafty things members do with their waste- like the leftover hay or droppings which I hadn’t thought of doing.

curlykrish

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
mine all goes into my garden waste recycling bin, along with waste hay ...i couldn't find anywhere that said it wasn't allowed. Maybe that could be an option if your council offers garden waste collection?

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine are on fleeces, but the poo and hay sweepings go into the compost bin alongside all our kitchen waste.
I do save the odd pile of piggy poops to make my own fertiliser too.

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
The newspaper from under the hay piles goes in the recycling, the top sheet if it's mucky is the only thing I put in general rubbish. The hay, poop and wood shavings from the hay boxes goes in the compost bins in the garden. If the compost bins are full it goes in the council green waste bin, our council takes it, not all do. The poop picked off the fleece goes in a hole in the veg patch - the pumpkin patch, pumpkins and courgettes like very rich soil. At the moment I have a trench dug across the veg patch, hay and poop are going in it ready to feed next years runner beans. I also get requests from a gardening neighbour for a bag of piggy waste to enrich her home made compost.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
I occasionally put some in our compost and then some goes in garden waste though it's not collected year round.

eileen

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
i take mine to the tip,but it has to go in black bags in general waste.some goes to the local allotment if they will take it.in cannot go in the green waste bin ! too much to compost at home,averaging 12 black bags aweek.

anyar.dris

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Our council doesn't treat the piggy waste as garden waste so I used to throw it to the tip. We can't put it to our compost bins because it's already full. Early this year though, our garden waste collector has changed and we now have to pay around £35 I think yearly. So I throw the piggy waste in the brown garden waste bin they provided and the bin men never checks it anyway. All the puppy pad used gets thrown in the rubbish bin and the newspapers are put in the paper recycling, as long as it's not wet.

Tigermoth

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
mine all goes into my garden waste recycling bin, along with waste hay ...i couldn't find anywhere that said it wasn't allowed. Maybe that could be an option if your council offers garden waste collection?
Depends on the council. Ours won’t take it. They charge us for the service and then restrict almost everything! And they do check here too and won’t take it if you break the rules.

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I use 2 massive hay trays, which are lined with newspaper then auboise (but currently using an alternative called Raviera) .. The newspapers go in the recycling bin (we asked the council for a larger bin a few years ago which is super useful and there was no extra charge for this - I just said we have lots to recycle) or we burn them as we have a fire pit.... The auboise/Raviera is black bagged and put in with the general waste - 1 bag a week. Hay goes into our garden waste bin which we pay for and when this service is not running, black bagged or we burn it..

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
We had great success composting our piggy waste during the first lockdown when the council tip was shut, just on a compost heap with grass cuttings and veg peelings added and a lot of water was needed to compost the hay and newspaper... unfortunately as we only have a city patio garden we were composting it in an elderly Uncle's garden and he really wasnt keen to keep the process going, he's not really the type of chap who likes to feel connected to nature via a heap of fermenting piggy poops at the end of his lawn! But as a composting and ecology experiment it was magnificent, crazy beetles turning up, giant creepy fungus things growing all over it, worms colonising it, an amazing variety of slugs... I dont know why it wasnt more popular!

Scooter Pie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I sweep poop and hay off fleece and heap it in a big pile in my back yard, separate from my regular compost bins full of leaves and kitchen scraps.

Once I get my garlic planted, Ill be throwing it directly on top of those beds.

The big pile doesn't break down too fast. The poop does but the hay takes really long. I'm planning on researching ways to heat it up...currently it's just an open pile with a wooden lattice on one side near the fence.

Qualcast&Flymo

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I sweep poop and hay off fleece and heap it in a big pile in my back yard, separate from my regular compost bins full of leaves and kitchen scraps.

The big pile doesn't break down too fast. The poop does but the hay takes really long. I'm planning on researching ways to heat it up...currently it's just an open pile with a wooden lattice on one side near the fence.
You need to balance the dry "brown" waste of the hay with wetter "green" waste such as lawn mowings (untreated), garden plants (annuals and non woody perennials) and veg peelings etc. Nettles help to speed up composting if you have them too.
I just have one heap with all of those things. Haven't looked underneath to see how it is doing since we came here a year ago, but it must be working as the pile isn't growing as fast as it would be if it were just sitting there...

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
My neighbour gives me his green, we never get any grass to mow these days, the furry mowers eat the lot!

Bill & Ted

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
All the waste goes into our allotment compost bins/garden compost bin. We also give some to our neighbour who has an allotment too and we dig trenches in the allotment soil and add the shredded newspaper and hay in the autumn and cover with soil.

Mikatelyn

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Have you considered vermicomposting? Red wriggler worms are supposed to speed up composting quite a bit. I had some in the past, but alas they perished in the Arizona summer.

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I find my hay breaks down after 6 months in the compost bins, my bins are plastic and in the sun so get hot.
I tried the worms in a wormery, the instructions did say piggy poop was alright for them, but the worms died. They were fine until they were fed poop so I feel that was the culprit! I'd love to start another another wormery but I won't feed them poop again.