• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Diy house for Guinea pigs

7Guineapigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have Guinea pigs that I can't keep altogether, I'd love to make a 2 tier or 3 if possible cage for them out of wood would be great. Has anyone got any ideas for me please and maybe some instructions on how to do it 😁

Are the piggies all living in pairs/group now? If there are any piggies needing to live alone, their cages must be side by side with another piggy(s) so they can have interaction through the bars. You can’t keep single piggies in stacked cages as they can’t interact and will get lonely.

The overall size is of course going to be dependent on how many piggies you will have in each cage.
If you are going to make it three tiers, then I think allowing for height in each level, plus a gap between each level to allow access to each cage, it could end up too high to be manageable and easy to clean the top cage. Just something to think about!

Last edited:
Iv got 7 altogether, Iv got 3 girls together, 2 boys and Iv got another 2 male which are separated they can't live with another pig they fight to much

I could do a 2 tier cage with 2 boys at bottom and then to single boys at the top but separated?

That’s fine as a set up in principle, but it’ll make the cage very big so it’s just whether you’ve got the space for it. The single boys will need to be side by side in a cage each so they can still interact with each other. Each of their cages will need to measure a minimum of 120x60cm. So youll be looking at it being 2.4 metres long by 60cm wide so the single boys can be side by side.
The two boys who live together need to be in a cage of 180x60cm. Given the logistics and ensuring enough support, it would probably be easier to give the pair of boys the same size cage so their cage measuring 2.4 metres x 60cm as well, and then the upstairs boys can have the same but split in half. Not sure how easy it’ll be to support such big lengths of wood. My dad has made rabbit runs for me and it’s a bit of a nightmare with them being so big and offering enough support to the wood.

There may be other ways to do it, but it all depends on what space you’ve got to play with as to how it can be configured

I'm assuming the girls live somewhere else? Ideally bonded boars are kept in a separate room to sows.

There might be something in our members gallery which gives inspiration
Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages

I don’t know if I would build a 3 tier cage from c&c or wood. There’s a member here who has some cages under a table and others on top. Could you do that?

Screenshot_20210214-153057.png
I have debated having a two/three tier C&C for some time. I strongly considered this design which was made by a youtuber at first. Hers all seen to use it but I have great doubts as to whether mine would be comfortable being that high up. I'm hoping to create something similar with just two stories in a horse shoe shape hopefully at the weekend. I have 7 pigs also they all live together and get on well but I feel having a second story could help to reduce future conflicts if a few of the pigs feel they want more space/alone time in the future. But at the same time, the 3rd story makes it easier to clean the bottom of the cage whereas the second story may make it more challenging. Good luck! There's so many options :)

Back