• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Do female go’s fight?

ArcticGuineaPig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
When I was doing research it said that if female gps aren’t put in the cage at the same time than they will fight over territory. Is that true?

When I was doing research it said that if female gps aren’t put in the cage at the same time than they will fight over territory. Is that true?

when you introduce two piggies to each other, it needs to be done on neutral territory. They then decide whther they like each other and want to form a bond with each other. If they do, then they will be fine together. If they don’t like each other then they will not form such a bond and will not be able to move to their permanent cage together. They wil
the need to remain separate at all times.
what you cannot do is put a new piggy directly into an existing piggy’s cage as that will be seen as territory invasion and will cause a fight. Any introductions between an existing and a new piggy must be done on neutral ground

This guide will help you. Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

if you don’t already have guinea pigs then the best thing is to rescue an already bonded pair or group. That way, you don’t have to worry about any of the bonding side of things As it’ll already be done and you’ll know the piggies you bring home already like each other and have a functioning hierarchy

I’m struggling with the whole neutral ground thing myself, as my 3 piggies have been everywhere in my entire house.
It needs to be somewhere clean that doesn't 'belong' to any of them.
So pick a space in the room you want to bond them in. Secure it somehow. Put down a freshly washed fleece or floor covering. Add in piles of hay and that's it.
It doesn't have to be somewhere they have never been before. Just somewhere that has been cleaned recently so it doesn't smell of one particular piggy.

What is an example of neutral ground?
Sounds weird, but we actually introduce new pigs by putting towels in the bottom of the bathtub and a pig at each end and some hay in the middle and then we observe. It's obviously someplace neither has been, it's oval so no one can get boxed into a corner, and there's enough space that they can avoid each other at first while they get used to the idea of a new pig. After they have accepted each other, we will move them to a thoroughly cleaned/scrubbed down 'new' cage that the original resident won't recognize by scent.

Back