• Dying, terminal illness and euthanasia: New sensitive support guide for guinea pig owners Please Click Here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Do female guinea pigs get periods?

Guineapiggirl6

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have had my guinea pig for a while and I have never seen any blood from her possibly having her period. Do they get periods? If they do would you see the blood in the bedding?

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
No guinea pigs do not bleed when they have seasons.

You don't need to see a vet, I believe the above two posters are confused and think you have seen her bleeding. If you ever see blood around the genitals then she does need a vet

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Yes there should never be any bleeding or discharge from the genitals.
Female piggy hormone cycles are usually only noticeable as behavioural changes- when they are in season and almost ready to mate they can be very bossy and grumpy and mount and hump their friends as a dominance behaviour! This usually happens about every 14-17 days, and lasts about 24 hours :)

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
No guinea pigs do not bleed when they have seasons.

You don't need to see a vet, I believe the above two posters are confused and think you have seen her bleeding. If you ever see blood around the genitals then she does need a vet
Oops, sorry... Yea I didn't see the ndver see blood part. Misread, many apologies

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I have had my guinea pig for a while and I have never seen any blood from her possibly having her period. Do they get periods? If they do would you see the blood in the bedding?
Hi

Sows come into season roughly every two weeks but they do not bleed.
Here is more information: Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

Any bleeding from the anus and any bloody looking pees should be vet checked as they are a sign that something is not right either in the reproductive tract (ovarian cysts or womb) or in the urinary tract (bladder stones, urinary tract infection (UTI) or bacterial or sterile cystitis).

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
No, although they have a heat cycle (that you may notice from behavioral changes or may not notice at all), guinea pigs do not have a period. Many prey animals do not have a period of bleeding in their reproductive cycle, it would not be an advantage to attract predators that way!