• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

DO FEMALE GUINEA PIGS LOSE THEIR FERTILITY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowny

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know whether female guinea pigs lose their fertility with age in the same way humans do? Thanks, Karen

Hi, thanks for the reply. I am not a breeder, I was wondering about an old sow for my old boar. He is about 4.5 years and I did not want to put through neutering - we lost two rabbits following neutering last year and it was heartbreaking - obviously bad memories. I have been advised to get him either a very young male or a neutered female. I am struggling to find a neutered female, but wondered whether an old female would be suitable - hence question. Sorry if I misled you. Thanks, Karen

Hi Karen,
welcome to the forum :)

I'm not entirely sure of the answer but I don't think they do lose fertility.

Hi Karen welcome to the forum, I have absolutely no idea, but it's a very good question and it will be interesting to see if anyone else knows and what the answer is :)

Hello Karen and welcome :)

I would not recommend putting an elderly sow in with an old boar as there is every chance that both will still be fertile, even if much less so than when young. And as I am sure you can imagine the consequences of an elderly sow falling pregnant would be devastating and may cost her life.

As I understand having talked to Vedra at the CCT there is no defined age where a sow stops ovulating. I as told this a good few years ago and so of course research may now show differently.

The reason I rang and asked about it was because I was asked to take a 4 year old sow that was heavily pregnant and had never littered before. I was horrified and said I'd pick her up straight away but the guy calling said there was no point as he was leaving in 5 mins to go on night shift! I asked if I could pick up from a neighbour but he said he hadn't time to arrange it ::)
I rang Vedra that night for advice.

Thankfully the sow was not pregnant, just very plump...Phew!

To my mind there is no such thing as guaranteed sterility in any guinea pig unless it has been neutered. Owners who choose to put "sterile boars" in with their sows are playing Russian Roulette >:(

Anyway I digress ::)

Maybe you could try and pal your little oldie up with a baby boar? If that isn't an option, I'd suggest keeping him inside and spoiling him with lot's of love and attention :)
There are a few of us on here keep single boars for one reason or another. I'd agree he is too old to put through a neutering operation, though for most guineas it is a straight forward operation. Sorry to hear about your bunnies :'(

Barbara

Even if they do there's probably no sure way of telling :)

I've paired adult boars with adults and with babies, the only drawback with pairing babies is you don't always know how they'll turn out... Adults will let you know there and then, usually.

even though you dont usually neuter females, I have heard of some where it was done due to cysts or something..?

so while its not the common thing to do (because it is alot more difficult to do than with boars, and therefore more risky) it is done sometimes, maybe you could just get a young sow and neuter her?

I am sorry to hear about your bunnies... :(
Its a shame when something so routine goes so awfully wrong.. can I ask what was the matter?
dont feel obliged to answer, if it still hurts too much to talk about it.

considering the harsh replies in the forum when it comes to petshop piggies, breeders, breeding from rescue piggies, and god knows how many topics we have chewed through, I would say the majority of people on this forum do not breed, and dont support breeding.

tell me if I'm wrong :)

but anyway, this is really a moot point - given that this thread apparently has nothing to do with breeding.

Abnoba said:
even though you dont usually neuter females, I have heard of some where it was done due to cysts or something..?

so while its not the common thing to do (because it is alot more difficult to do than with boars, and therefore more risky) it is done sometimes, maybe you could just get a young sow and neuter her?

I would personally only neuter a sow for health reasons and on veterinary advice. I wouldn't routinely spay or advocate it.
But these are just my thoughts and I know some rescues do chose spay their sows. And of course this would be the ideal...

Barbara

any of my girls who I have bred for my self ( I never part with any pig that crosses my doorstep) have all been bred before their first birthday as of course you all know to do so after their 1st birthday is very dangerous. one of my rescued was pregnant and she died because of her age, which enraged me beyond reason, obvioulsy I'm talking first time bred here,
I think they are still fertile as most of my old ladys still get fruity with each other now and again and taking that as a sign, I would say they are still fertile,
and no not all of us are anti breeding anti showing and anti pet shops, each to our own, and dont ever feel the forum is getting at you, or anyone else for that matter thats not a nice way to be feeling, some times some of us get a bit carried away with our own views, but we are all nice and tolerate each others views and ways reasonably well, as long as the piggys dont suffer, which of course, none of us would put up with.
so very sorry to hear about your bunnys thats horrid no wonder you feel unable to do the same to a piggy, like Cavy kind i would only go that route for medical reasons only.

clowny said:
Hi, does anyone know whether female guinea pigs lose their fertility with age in the same way humans do? Thanks, Karen

As Barbara has said, its probably not wise to assume that they will no longer be able to conceive because of age. If there is no solid evidence that a guinea pig can't get pregnant then I would no put a sow with a boar just incase.

Abnoba said:
considering the harsh replies in the forum when it comes to petshop piggies, breeders, breeding from rescue piggies, and god knows how many topics we have chewed through, I would say the majority of people on this forum do not breed, and dont support breeding.

tell me if I'm wrong :)

but anyway, this is really a moot point - given that this thread apparently has nothing to do with breeding.

I read that as people ARE breeding - doh!

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. I seem to have opened a can of worms with my question. Sorry. I have noted all comments and am definitely NOT going to assume that, like us ladies, female guinea pigs lose their fertility. It was just a thought that crossed my mind when I was awake lying in bed wondering what to do about a friend for Clowny. I rescued Clowny when he retired from being a stud and wondered whether a female could be rescued in the same way. I think the best thing is for a laid back male and I have been in touch with someone who has suggested I take Clowny along to meet her guinea pig to see how they get on. Another option is to bring him into the house - but I have 5 cats and am still thinking about that one.

My rabbits that died following their ops picked up a bug, the vet thinks, and as their immune system was low, could not cope. The one rabbit we hadn't neutered survived and is still with us. Just unfotunate I think. My son was heartbroken, especially when the second one died - it was more than he could cope with.

Anyway, I have posted piccies of my lads on the site, so have a look if you want - they are gorgeous.

Thanks again for your help and advice, it really is appreciated.

Thanks, Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back