• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Do Guinea Pigs Make A Lot Of Noise At Night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thea

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi:yahoo:
I have been researching about guinea pigs since I've been thinking about getting 2. I would have to keep the piggies in my room and I was wondering if they make a lot of noise at night?
I have 2 hamsters that make a lot of noise that i had to move into are spare bathroom. I'm a very light sleeper and I'm just a little afraid i will never sleep.
Thx!

I often hear my pigs drinking from their water bottle and chasing each other but it is not really loud. The main noise is when my neutered boar tries to dominate the sows.

I am also a light sleeper and we have had guineas in our room before we put them in the same room as the other guineas this was only for a couple of weeks at a time but to be honest I couldn't sleep very well with them in there as even them moving and drinking woke me.But saying that I am sure lots of people on here have them in their bedrooms with no problems.

I have slept in the same room as my my piggies on a few occasions. I heard them eating and drinking but they were generally quiet.

However, the pigs live in the room next door to us and when one of the girls is in season, it can get lively when my neutered boar starts.

But guinea pigs are not nocturnal so you may be lucky.

Since I've had my piggies they've always been in the bedroom. I've got 3 (was 4) boys. I hardly hear mine, only very occasionally if they chase each other and it's only for like 2 minutes!

I would recommend to look for adult rather than young guinea pigs, as they are generally much quieter. Guinea pigs get up once or twice in the night to drink and munch on hay. The loudest noise is often from the water bottle; some piggies drink more and can be noisy drinkers.

It depends on how much noise will bother you, and how noisy your particular pigs are! I had Sundae in my room for awhile when she was being quarantined, and although I did hear her run around and bit and use the water bottle at night, it wasn't really bothersome (then again, I have three kids and hubby who snores, so nighttime noise is not a big deal to me anymore!) When we had Linney and Sundae I used to occasionally hear the odd scrap over the pigloo, where Linney would chase Sundae out and Sundae would do that loud submissive squeal as she went. Again, probably depends on the pairing, since Hadley is less bossy than Linney and I haven't heard any nighttime pigloo fights since the two of them have been living together.

I have four boys in an adjoining room. I hear very little from them at night until the alarm goes off at 6am and the light gets switched on - then they yell their heads off ; sqweeeeeeeeeeeek sqweeeeeeeeeeeeek, feeeeeeeeeeed me!! feeeeeeeeeeeed me nowwwww

It can be hard to tell how noisy a piggy might be sometimes! My younger boy piggy was born at a rescue and the lady who runs the rescue from her house told me he used to keep her awake with his shouting when he was a tiny baby :))

I agree with others that adults would be a good choice. My old boy is much more subdued in his late years!

Mine's have always been beside my bed. They're really quite quiet, unless your trying to have a bedtime snack then they go mental lol. I find it comforting having them beside me. Trying to sleep when you have a sick piggy that cries it is quite distressing and stops you sleeping, but even then I like it because I can keep a close eye during the night :)

Mine are in my room with me and I very rarely get woken up by them, it can get noisy if they use the water bottle or have a tiff over the hideys but it doesn't affect me because I'm generally quite a heavy sleeper. So it just depends how much of a light sleeper you are really! I like having mine in my room with me though :)

If you are affected by hammies then POSSIBLY YES depending upon your set-up

If you just have a pair of piggies - it shouldn;t be a problem.
I have 14 pigs downstairs. 5 pairs and 4 singletons. When I was a sound sleeper it wasn;t a problem. I have however suffered from sleep issues for the last 2years So now the little lovelies wake me up most nights with their clattering on the water bottles ...plus the boys are always trying to chat up the girls and setting off wheeking matches,,,,, and the girls are real tarts because they do the same back!
Unfortunately it appears my various groups of pigs have decided to "party cross-cage" every night!

I guess this isn't the most helpful post for your situation....but if you are keeping a lot of pigs then don;t underestimate the "mayhem" they can get up to when they think their slave is asleep!

LOL @Pebble I bloody love your lot! Especially that sexy beast with the personal hygeine problem!

Ahh ...@Coco&Luna

That would be my adorable rude Rudy........a beautiful and friendly single (for the moment) ......chocolate agouti boar
Very placid and docile until you start to "fiddle" when trying to properly clean his manhood!

Was hoping to bond him with a spayed sow - but sadly the Jury's still out on his personal problem....
We are hoping his most recent vet treatment may help...otherwise we may have to consider him forfeiting his Cajonas! Eeeek!
x

I have 2 in my bedroom and Tim spends the whole night trying to woo Sophie. Why he has to rumble literally every time he sees her, I will never know. I must admit I like falling asleep to the sound of them eating hay though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back