do guinea pigs smell

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dobs

Hi, everyone, looking to buy 2 pigs and keep them indoors, i want to know do they make your house smell? which are the best to buy? 2 girls?2 boys? read that the boys are more cuddly and that would be ideal for my daughters, :) is this right?Looked into everything, IE what care they require etc, even purchased some bits to make my own cage.

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've got a boy inside on vetbed and he doesn't smell at all as long as the vetbed is changed every 3-4 days. I got a baby but he's still skittish, might be better for you to get a bit older rescue as they can be calmer for kids - my son can't really handle ours yet

linda.b

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
No, they do not smell at all. The only thing that does smell is the bedding when it gets soiled. the cure is to change the bedding often. If you are getting 2 boys you need to get them either when they are young and are siblings (though when they mature even they sometimes fight) or the best thing is to get 2 older ones from a rescue. Two girls should be fine together, but I've had many guineas and I am biased towards boys, i think they are more friendly and placid. At the moment, I have a little boy on his own, I put newspaper on the floor and cover it in carefresh. At one side of the cage he has a little pet mat, wihich luckily he does not soil and he is in my living room. Hubby hates "indoor pets" but does'nt mind piggy because he does'nt smell (his words!). The other thing you need to be aware of is that for a few weeks they will probably be very timid. Don't be put off by this as you need to pick them up as often as possible. The more they are handled, the sooner they become tame and will be wonderful pets for your children. :)

Reaction score
Hi i have boys and girls. My boys can smell a little if they get rowdy and start scent marking. They are lovely characters though and very adventurous.

My two adult girls are very placid and easy to pick up and the baby girl is quite skittish as she is still young. I would probably advise you two get two girls as there is less chance of them fighting when they are older. If you get babies they will be very lively but will settle down as they grow up.

My kids love them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.