• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

do guinea pigs smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cazzyg1

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm due to get my new guinea pigs in about 3 weeks time (cage arrived today its huuuge lol). I had read that guines dont smell but while setting up the cage my hubbys friend rang up and said 'oh ive had guinea pigs they stink!) hubby not happy as the guineas are going to be living in the house. Do they really smell that bad and how can you make sure the cage doesnt smell ( i will obviously clean it very regularly).

Depends how often you clean them out, and whether you have boys or girls. Boys are smellier.

I have two boys and I clean them out twice a week, but yes, there is some smell. Not unbearable, but you can definitely smell them.

i dont think they really smell, as long as you clean out the hay everyday, it also depends what your using as bedding.

mine are indoors and i only notice the smell on cleaning day.

My guinea pigs are in a 4ft by 2ft cage in our small living room, along with 3 gerbils, a budgie and dwarf hamster. I don't have any smells.

mine are in my room and i use fleece and i wash the fleece every 2 days and i only notice a slight smell when i clean the fleece

Hi,

Have you got sows or boars? I have both and find boys smell a bit more.

I have them on fleece and change it every two days for the boars and every week for the sows as they use a littertray:))

I also have a neutrodol air fresh thing up on the wardrobe to help neutralise any smells.

I don't think they smell too bad but you have to spot clean everyday and not let it build up:))

They say women moan but I think men are far worse!rolleyes

thank you everyone, i am getting 2 girls piggies :)) off topic but is it essential that indoor pigs need access to out doors, or are they happy getting exercise in an indoor run?

indoor piggys need indoor run time in the winter the change in temperature is too cold, but you can pick grass to go in their indoor run.

outdoor runs are good for summer though :)

Last edited:
I have indoor pigs as I have no suitable outside space. An indoor run/ floortime is fine.
My girls are in a big c & c cage with fleece and litter trays. I change the hay in the litter trays every day as hay that's been pee'd on does smell. My pigs are in my living room and I don't think they smell. :)

That's great, in my experience my two girls hardly smell at all! I would recommend using carefresh in their littertray as this neutilses bad odours:))

The littertray I clean out everyother day.:))

I use an outdoor run in the summer and have just got a elc ball pit for indoor exercise during autumn/winter

I clean out house pigs every other day any longer than that and yes they smell a bit. Boys can be worse but not always. Enjoy them xx

Boys smell more than girls because of their spray but with both, if you clean them out frequently, they don't smell too much.

A lot depends on the type of bedding you use and how often you clean them out. Of course, you will also have a hay smell from their food hay but I quite like that smell.

The thing to remember is that they're a lot less smelly than a lot of other rodents but they will get smelly if you let their mess build up.

Our boys live in our living room with us and they don't smell enough to bother us. When you come into the flat from outside, you can smell something but it's not a "bad" smell. It's their hay etc. it definitely doesn't smell of wee or anything.

If you bed them on shavings I find they can smell after a few days and its harder to spot clean, I have my four boys in 2 2x4 C&Cs with a hay loft and I have them on a layer of 3 towels and then fleece. I spot clean twice a day with a dustbuster and a poop scoop and then do a full cage change every weekend. I find coming up to cleaning day there is a slight smell when you go near the cage but nowhere near as bad as shavings, the fleece keeps all the pee underneath so it only smells once you pull it up :)

I have 4 girls but they live outside in a 6ft by 2ft hutch. They are bedded on hay and woodshavings, Obviously their hutch smells slightly on cleaning day and after a few months they begin to smell (not bad) so I give them bath :)) Overall, I wouldn't say that guinea pigs are smelly animals. I have owned rats in the past and that is a different story :))

I was concerned before getting my piggy that the house would smell of wee lol. But its been just over a week now and not had any problems with horrible smells.
I do use a scoop and scoop out the poos everyday, and give Reggie clean water/fresh food and hay but then I change the papers and sawdust every 2-3 days.
He is a very clean piggy so far, he seems to only do his toilet business in one part of the cage.

The only smell I notice is of the clean hay which i do quite like, but I also love the smell of his fur lol.... Am I weird?!? x

Last edited:
I cant tell! I think they just smell like hay and i have boars (4 months old) but i do clean them everyday....hmm...

thank you for the replies, i am reassured now and will be very vigilent to clean daily! are puppy pads ok to line cage with? i read this but know that they use a smell to attract the puppies to it and I'm worrie dit may be poisonous?

thank you for the replies, i am reassured now and will be very vigilent to clean daily! are puppy pads ok to line cage with? i read this but know that they use a smell to attract the puppies to it and I'm worrie dit may be poisonous?

i use puppy pads just make sure that the fleece is tucked under them so the piggies cant get to it as mine like to do rolleyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back